Formula Renault 3.5 Champion Carlos Sainz Jr will line-up alongside Daniel Ricciardo for Infiniti Red Bull Racing’s final test of the 2014 season at Yas Marina Circuit on November 25 and 26 following the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Tag Archive: RB8
Williams has impressed F1’s eagle-eyed technical experts with an innovation aboard its new FW35.
Although designer Mike Coughlan’s Coanda exhaust solution will have to be removed from the 2013 car, respected German correspondent Michael Schmidt reports on Friday that a clever brake duct solution is fully legal.
Adrian Newey has confirmed reports an eleventh-hour ban by the FIA was a serious setback to Red Bull’s 2012 preparations.
It emerged in recent days that, just as the reigning champions were preparing to test debut the ultimately title-winning RB8, F1’s governing body banned Newey’s solution to the new blown exhaust clampdown.
Reigning champion Red Bull’s 2013 car might not be ready for the first pre-season test in early February.
We have already reported designer Adrian Newey’s admission that late development work to ensure the 2012 title somewhat delayed progress of the RB8’s successor. He said in an official Red Bull film that 2012 was “one of the toughest seasons I’ve been through”.
Sebastian Vettel has admitted his teammate Mark Webber initially had a better handle of Red Bull’s 2012 car.
Ultimately, on the way to collecting his third consecutive drivers’ title this year, German Vettel outscored Australian Webber by more than 100 points. And Webber won two grands prix in 2012, both in the first half of the season, compared to Vettel’s five.
Ferrari is still pushing hard to give Fernando Alonso a title-winning Ferrari for the final back-to-back head-to-head with Sebastian Vettel.
With Red Bull and Vettel’s qualifying problems allowing Alonso to claw back 3 points in Abu Dhabi, the Spaniard is still 10 points adrift with just Austin and Brazil to go. And with the red F2012 still not a match for the Adrian Newey-penned RB8, Alonso said after finishing second in Abu Dhabi: “We need to keep working and in Maranello they work day and night to bring new parts.”
Three leading specialist publications have played down the ‘rubber Red Bull’ affair.
Recent video footage depicted the Adrian Newey-penned RB8 with a decidedly bendy front nose tip, causing some outlets and fans to question the legality of the apparently ‘rubber’ construction. But writing in Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport, journalist Andrea Cremonesi said that “according to the FIA, everything is in order”.
Renault suspects equipment failure caused Sebastian Vettel to be pushed to the back of the grid in Abu Dhabi.
Actually, Red Bull pointed the finger of blame at its French engine supplier, revealing that Renault engineers asked for the German to be stopped at the side of the track after he qualified third last Saturday.
Horner said Renault has not been able to explain why too little fuel was put into the RB8.
Christian Horner has admitted “human error” led to Sebastian Vettel having to start Sunday’s Abu Dhabi grand prix from the back of the field. After qualifying third in Abu Dhabi, the championship leader was asked by his Red Bull engineer to “stop the car” on the track, apparently with a technical problem.
Ferrari asked FIA question about Red Bull’s car
Ferrari’s frantic push for the 2012 title has spilled into the world of paperwork, media reports from the scene of the Abu Dhabi grand prix have proved. Ferrari this week asked a question to the FIA about championship contender Red Bull’s car, according to the Spanish sports daily AS.
“Both of our drivers are experienced enough to know what is at stake for the team.” – Christian Horner
With Mark Webber a massive 73 points behind his teammate but so far refusing to play a subordinate role to Sebastian Vettel, the ‘team orders’ issue remains a pertinent one as Red Bull pushes for another drivers’ title. Australian Webber said in India that he has no intention of “pulling over” for the sister RB8, despite rumours a specific points gap laid out in his contract now requires him to support Vettel’s charge.
Dr Helmut Marko has fended off the team order issue by backing the “intelligence” and “team-player qualities” of his drivers.
The issue is pertinent ahead of Sunday’s Indian grand prix, with Mark Webber effectively out of the fight for the world championship, but insisting he will not move over for Sebastian Vettel if he is running ahead of the German. German Vettel’s title fight is really with Fernando Alonso, whose Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa is fully supportive of the Spaniard.
“If I’m in the lead this weekend, I’m not pulling over for anyone.”
Red Bull’s Mark Webber has denied he would pull over for his championship-leading teammate Sebastian if he is leading the Indian grand prix on Sunday. Reports have suggested the time for Webber to start supporting German Vettel’s title fight – both practically and also in terms of one of the Australian’s contract clauses – has now come.
Alonso’s title chance just 30pc now – Briatore
A visibly disappointed Fernando Alonso has in Korea finally lost his long-standing championship lead, as his title rival Sebastian Vettel won a third consecutive grand prix on Sunday. Fernando Alonso’s title prospects for 2012 have dwindled to just 30 per cent.
It is simplistic to say Red Bull has sped into the 2012 title favourites’ role due to its new ‘double DRS’ device.
The specific design of Red Bull’s RB8 could be the reason behind its Magneti Marelli/Renault alternator failures, according to a report.
With team owner Dietrich Mateschitz calling on engine supplier Renault to dump its alternator partner Magneti Marelli, the Kolner Express tabloid said Adrian Newey’s chassis design could be the real problem.
A Ferrari spokesman was quoted as saying the accusation is “completely untrue”
A reportedly “furious” Ferrari has hit back at Red Bull, after the reigning champions suggested the famous Italian team broke the rules “for a year”. Frustrated with the constant technical controversies involving Red Bull in 2012, the team’s Dr Helmut Marko said this week that actually “Ferrari used something like that for a year”.
Red Bull has hit back at the latest technical controversy by insisting Ferrari was the first on the grid with a hand-operated adjuster.
It emerged in Hungary last weekend that, weeks ago in Canada, the FIA told reigning champions Red Bull to stop using a device that in theory allowed mechanics to adjust the right-height of the car without using a tool.
Red Bull remained on the defensive in the Hockenheim paddock on Friday, as boss Christian Horner fended off the latest cheat claims.
A German magazine this week revealed that, in Canada, the FIA asked the reigning champions to remove a hand-adjustable damper system from the RB8. The rules state that the adjustments can only be made with a special tool, thus ensuring a team cannot secretly make performance-enhancing changes during the strict ‘parc ferme’ period between qualifying and the race.
The FIA’s ‘engine maps’ clampdown has not cost Red Bull even a single tenth, according to the team’s engine supplier Renault.
After crossing the finish line in second place just a week ago at Hockenheim – where the reigning champions were using the now-outlawed settings – Sebastian Vettel’s practice best in Hungary on Friday was good enough only for eighth.