Furbatto moved to Toro Rosso after a long stint at McLaren
Tag Archive: James Key
Toro Rosso on Monday unveiled a cautious evolution of its 2012 car for Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne to race this season.
With a FIA-sanctioned ‘vanity panel’ on the front nose, the new STR8 no longer features the ‘double floor’ of 2012, and the exhaust is notably conventional. “I just wanted to create a sound base rather than get bogged down in details,” technical director James Key, formerly of Sauber, was quoted by Speed Week.
Scuderia Toro Rosso today revealed its new car, the eighth in the team’s history, in the Jerez de la Frontera pit lane, at an event organised by the team’s Spanish sponsor, CEPSA. The wraps were pulled off the STR8 by our unchanged driver line-up of Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.
James Key, Toro Rosso’s new technical boss, says the Faenza based team is “superior” to Sauber in some ways.
Briton Key moved to Red Bull’s second team late last year, replacing Giorgio Ascanelli. He is quoted by Russia’s f1news.ru: “After Force India and Sauber, Toro Rosso is the third team I have worked with.
Nick Heidfeld, a former long-time Sauber driver, has backed countryman Nico Hulkenberg’s move from Force India to the Swiss team for 2013.
Some have criticised the 25-year-old’s move on the basis that Sauber might not be seen as a vastly superior team to Silverstone based Force India. Asked if he thinks Hulkenberg’s move makes sense, Heidfeld told Speed Week: “When you’re not going directly to one of the top teams, it is difficult to know whether you’re making the right decision.
Giorgio Ascanelli, the well-known F1 engineer who last year left his post as Toro Rosso’s technical director, is set to return to the sport.
But Autosprint, the Italian magazine, played down reports the 53-year-old Italian has decided to go back to Ferrari. Ascanelli began his career at Ferrari in the mid 80s, and was Gerhard Berger’s engineer. He moved to Benetton and McLaren, at the latter team working alongside the great Ayrton Senna.
James Key will start work at Toro Rosso on Monday morning, Italy’s well-connected Autosprint reports.
With the Faenza based team’s technical boss Giorgio Ascanelli going “on holiday” recently, it has been reported that his permanent replacement could be the former Sauber and Force India man Key, a 40-year-old Briton.
Daniel Ricciardo has hinted Giorgio Ascanelli’s successor at Toro Rosso could be announced imminently.
With technical director Ascanelli absent and officially on “holiday” during the most recent German and Hungarian grands prix, we reported on July 21 that his role could be permanently filled by former Sauber man and 40-year-old Briton James Key.
The Sauber F1 Team will pull the covers off its new car for the 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship on February 6th
Presentation Sauber C31-Ferrari on 6th February in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
Drivers Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Pérez will unveil the Sauber C31-Ferrari at 11am. Both of them, as well as Team Principal Peter Sauber, CEO Monisha Kaltenborn, Technical Director James Key and reserve driver Esteban Gutiérrez, will be available in press conferences.
Sauber on Friday was uncertain Sergio Perez will be back in the C30 for next weekend’s Canadian grand prix.
The Mexican rookie spent two days in hospital but has now returned home after his big crash during qualifying in Monaco. On Friday, his Swiss team Sauber explained that – because the 21-year-old was concussed – he will have to “pass the usual medical test with the FIA doctors” before being cleared to race in Montreal.
“For me, the wounds are definitely far from being healed”
Peter Sauber has denied rumours the disqualification of the C30 cars in Australia cost technical director James Key his job. Briton Key, who has been with the Swiss team only a year after switching from Force India, is ultimately responsible for the 3-5 millimetre rear wing breach that cost Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez their points in Melbourne.
“It will certainly be days before we can even mentally deal with this” – Sauber
After Sauber’s Melbourne disqualification, angry fans have demanded to know why the C20 was cleared to drive all weekend with an illegal wing. Team owner Peter Sauber has said the Swiss team had two wing specifications on hand in Australia, with one of them fitted to Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi’s cars on Sunday breaching a technical rule by mere millimetres.
Sauber withdraws Aus GP disqualification appeal
After examining all the facts, the Sauber F1 Team has decided not to appeal against the verdict of the stewards following the Australian Grand Prix last Sunday. The two drivers Sergio Pérez and Kamui Kobayashi had crossed the finish line in Melbourne in seventh and eighth places respectively, but were subsequently excluded from the results.
Both Sauber cars were disqualified from the Australian grand prix.
With an unique and surprising one-stop strategy, Mexican rookie Sergio Perez finished an impressive seventh on debut, one place ahead of teammate Kamui Kobayashi. But the stewards excluded the two Ferrari-powered C30 cars from the results after ruling that the rear wings were illegal.
James Key: “We will see more complicated strategies”
Winter testing was completed last Friday and the Sauber F1 Team is looking forward to the season’s opening race in Melbourne on 27th March. James Key, the team’s Technical Director, reflects on the pre-season tests and talks about expectations, tyres and drivers.