The future of the Australian grand prix is secure.
Tag Archive: Herald Sun
Bernie Ecclestone on Wednesday warned that formula one could race away from Melbourne after 2015.
The Albert Park event has a contract until then, but the F1 chief executive is pushing hard for the Australian organisers to agree to stage a night race. “After then (2015), we really don’t know,” the 81-year-old Briton told the Melbourne newspaper The Age.
It has been a busy time in the world of formula one sponsorship.
The German media is saying Nick Heidfeld’s axe at Renault was definitely financially-motivated, with the team’s confirmation of four new sponsors. One is with Bruno Senna’s personal backer Embratel, and another with the Brazilian oil company OGX.
Daniel Ricciardo is poised to make his formula one race debut at Silverstone next weekend.
+HRT not confirming Ricciardo reports
+Ricciardo confirms Silverstone F1 debut
Ecclestone not in New York for F1 race talks
Bernie Ecclestone has stepped up his attack on Jean Todt, highlighting a growing rift between F1’s chief executive and the head of the governing FIA. Ecclestone said recently he is “at loggerheads” with Todt over the 2013 engine rules, with Todt responding this week: “I hear about the (engine) noise, but that’s evolution.” The 80-year-old, in London this week rather than travelling to Australia for the season opener, has replied with a stinging attack on Frenchman Todt — “a poor man’s Max.”
Bernie Ecclestone is no longer travelling to Australia for this weekend’s 2011 season opener.
The F1 chief executive’s office had previously confirmed that the 80-year-old would be in Melbourne, but reports on Tuesday said Ecclestone has headed instead to New York. Melbourne newspaper the Herald Sun said New York mayor Michael Bloomberg issued the invitation following speculation the Victorian government wanted to offload its race due to rising costs.
Jaime Alguersuari has admitted to wanting to move to Red Bull next year after Mark Webber’s contract expires.
The F1 chief executive declared recently that F1 doesn’t “need Australia”
Amid a controversy over the future of the Australian grand prix, it seems Bernie Ecclestone will attend the 2011 edition.The F1 chief executive declared recently that F1 doesn’t “need Australia”, after Melbourne’s Lord Mayor and premier questioned the value of the Albert Park event for taxpayers.
“If I win that world championship, well, that may do me. I’d be a very content man.”
Now considered a favourite for the 2010 world championship, Mark Webber has revealed he almost quit formula one several years ago. Having impressed at Minardi and Jaguar, the Australian was signed for 2005 by grandee Williams, but the famous British team had concurrently begun its slide from the sport’s pinnacle.