He added that Rome does not “steal things around Italy”.
Tag Archive: Gianni Alemanno
“F1 chief executive’s letter was not a “rejection” for Rome.” – Alemanno
The promoter of a grand prix on the streets of Rome in 2013 has not given up on bringing F1 to the Italian capital. On Thursday, the event appeared to have heard its death knell when it emerged Bernie Ecclestone had written to Rome mayor Gianni Alemanno.
“A one race per nation limit” – Luca di Montezemolo
Ferrari has waded into the fierce debate in Italy about whether a Rome street race should co-exist with historic Monza on the formula one calendar of the near future. Previously, the famous Italian marque has been reluctant to comment on the controversy, with Monza and its supporters fiercely opposed to the capital’s serious plans for an event in the EUR district.
“I will soon meet with Ecclestone to confirm the letter of intent” – Alemanno.
It has emerged that Rome’s agreement about a city-based formula one race in 2012 or 2013 could lapse at the end of the year. It was reported last month that organisers of the proposed event to take place in the Italian capital’s EUR district had signed a five-year contract with Bernie Ecclestone.
Organisers of the Rome grand prix insist the city will not have to pay.
Formula one will not cost Rome anything, the promoter of a potential street race in the Italian capital has insisted. Rome’s inaugural race is slated to be held in 2012 or 2013, pending the agreement of the residents of the EUR district, mayor Gianni Alemanno said earlier this month.
“The Monza race will remain — it won’t be destroyed by Rome’s.”
A five-year contract for a formula one street race in the Italian capital was signed at Monza on Friday, Rome grand prix officials have announced. Ahead of Italy’s existing race near Milan, they said that Rome would also feature on the calendar in 2012 or 2013, after the agreement was signed by Bernie Ecclestone and organiser Maurizio Flammini on Friday.
“Monza is part of the history of our region”
Luca di Montezemolo has been challenged to pledge his support or otherwise to Italy’s historic grand prix venue Monza. The challenge was thrown out by Monica Rizzi, the regional sports councillor for Lombardy, the governing region of the famous Autodromo Nazionale.
“There are no certainties, but our promise is very solid”
Rome is still on track to host a round of the world championship in 2012 or 2013, the Italian capital’s mayor revealed on Wednesday. A possible street race in the famous city has been on the cards for some time, but it had been thought that political obstacles had thwarted the plans.
“Don’t worry: the grand prix of Italy is staying at Monza” -Enrico Gelpi
Bernie Ecclestone has given his personal assurance that Rome is not set to replace historic Monza on the formula one calendar. “Don’t worry: the grand prix of Italy is staying at Monza,” Enrico Gelpi, president of the Italian sanctioning body ACI, is quoted as saying by Il Messaggero.