Tag Archive: Bernie Ecclestone

Sep 20

FIA clampdown dubbed ‘Radio Ga-Ga’ in Singapore

The FIA’s Charlie Whiting addressed the media in Singapore

2008-06-05_0049 F1’s intended clampdown on performance communications between teams and drivers has been dubbed ‘Radio Ga-Ga’ up and down the bemused paddock. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 19

Vettel ‘the right man for Ferrari’ – Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone has named struggling world champion Sebastian Vettel as “the right man for Ferrari”.

2014-07-17 - 99000 - Red Bull Racing - Sebastian Vettel Rumours last week that Red Bull’s Vettel and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso might sensationally swap seats for 2015 were roundly denied by all sides. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 19

Ecclestone admits three-car teams possible

Bernie Ecclestone has admitted F1 could fill up a depleted grid next year with three-car top teams.

Bernie Ecclestone-11-2010 Former Williams chairman Adam Parr set off alarm bells after the Italian grand prix recently when he ‘tweeted’ that three struggling teams are about to collapse. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 19

Ecclestone admits ‘double points’ could go

Bernie Ecclestone has admitted his ‘double points’ innovation may be axed after the 2014 finale.

Bernie Ecclestone portrait This year, in a bid to keep the championship alive until the dying moment, F1 will allocate double points in the Abu Dhabi finale. But the scheme has been controversial and almost universally criticised, prompting F1’s chief executive to admit it may fall by the wayside. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 18

Ecclestone takes blame for radio clampdown

As day turned to night in the floodlit Singapore paddock, the big talking point was the FIA’s radio clampdown.

Charlie Whiting -Bernie Ecclestone - photo Getty Images Actually, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone claimed the credit. “I was the one who started it off, yes,” he told reporters on Thursday. Earlier, in downtown Singapore, Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg welcomed the move. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 17

F1 teams admit concerns over ticket prices

F1 team bosses have identified high ticket prices as a major problem for the sport, according to the Telegraph.

2013-06-09_0890The British newspaper said crowd numbers at some of the sport’s most traditional venues including Spa, Hockenheim and Monza have been notably down in 2014. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 15

Ferrari could take $25m stake in F1

Ferrari could become the first F1 team to actually own a stake in the sport, the Telegraph reports.

2014-06-05_0034 F1 business journalists Christian Sylt and Caroline Reid reveal that, as a non-executive director of the sport’s holding company Delta Topco, departing Ferrari president held an option to buy into F1 to the tune of about $25 million. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 11

Now Montezemolo exit rocks crisis-struck Ferrari

He admitted on Wednesday that it is possible he will go on to run the Italian airline Alitalia.

Luca di Montezemolo 2011-12-18 Despite securing $35 million as he walks away, Luca di Montezemolo had a tear in his eye on Wednesday as he said farewell to Ferrari. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 10

Sauber sale to billionaire Stroll in doubt – reports

Sauber’s potential sale to a Canadian billionaire could have collapsed.

2010-07-11-0109 It has been strongly rumoured in past days that Lawrence Stroll, a fashion mogul with close links to Ferrari, could buy the financially struggling Swiss team. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 07

Post-race rumours rock Monza paddock

F1’s 2015 ‘silly season’ is no longer just about the drivers.

2014-06-08_0747 Now, it is major rumblings about the teams themselves that are making waves as the sport packs up after Lewis Hamilton’s win at Monza. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 07

Monza’s F1 future remains in doubt

The comments sparked waves of worry among F1 fans and, in particular, the world-famous Tifosi.

GP2 - Monza As the F1 world rejoices at the historic, high speed and highly popular Monza, the future of the fabled Italian grand prix remains in serious doubt. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 07

20-race 2015 calendar surfaces at Monza

A preliminary calendar for 2015 is doing the rounds in the Monza paddock.

150x80-flagworldf1 The schedule, first published by Speed Week after seeing it at the scene of the Italian grand prix, features all 19 grands prix that are on this year’s calendar, plus Mexico, with the old Mexico City layout set to host a race in late October. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 06

Montezemolo plays down ‘excessive’ rumours

Rumours of Montezemolo exit gather steam at Monza

2014-01-24 -  Scuderia Ferrari - Team - Luca di Montezemolo Luca di Montezemolo was coy on Saturday as he played down swirling speculation about his future. Rumours are gathering steam by the hour that Luca di Montezemolo’s regular visit to Monza on Saturday will be his last as Ferrari president. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 06

Fernandes happy to have sold Caterham

Tony Fernandes has broken his silence to reveal it is “a relief” to have left formula one.

Tony Fernandes The entrepreneur, best known for his Malaysian low-cost airline Airasia, recently sold the Leafield based Caterham team to mysterious Swiss-Middle Eastern investors led by Colin Kolles and Christijan Albers. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 05

Struggling Vettel not racing Ricciardo’s chassis

But Vettel will be using an entirely different ‘Suzie’ at Monza

2014-07-04 - 99025 - Red Bull Racing - Sebastian Vettel Sebastian Vettel’s ‘new’ Red Bull chassis for Monza and beyond is not the one used to such good effect by on-form teammate Daniel Ricciardo in 2014. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 04

Colleague says Todt concerned about Russia GP

Jean Todt is concerned about the viability of next month’s inaugural grand prix.

2014-06-14-1001 That is the claim of Ari Vatanen, an FIA official who once stood against Todt for the presidency of F1’s governing body but is now one of his closest allies. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 03

Europe could recommend Russia GP boycott

Mere days ago, Bernie Ecclestone remained certain formula one will race for the first time in Russia next month.

2014-08-13 - Sochi 2 Amid the Ukrainian crisis and the MH17 atrocity, the F1 chief executive defended his decision to resist calls to cancel the inaugural Sochi event. Read the rest of this entry »

Sep 01

Verstappen was ‘prepared’ for F1 debut criticism

Max Verstappen says he was “prepared” for the waves of criticism about his formula one debut in 2015.

Max Verstappen portrait News that the 16-year-old Dutchman will make history as the sport’s youngest ever race driver for Toro Rosso next year has been controversial. Read the rest of this entry »

Aug 29

Departed backers ended New York race hopes – Ecclestone

Plans for a New York street race were foiled by financial backers that pulled out, Bernie Ecclestone has revealed.

2011-06-26_0247 A second American grand prix, in New Jersey but amid the iconic Manhattan skyline, has appeared on draft calendars for some time but the F1 supremo now admits it is unlikely to happen. Read the rest of this entry »

Aug 27

Honda wants Vettel, Newey for McLaren project – Minardi

Even boss Eric Boullier admits the protracted deliberations are unusual for McLaren.

2014-01-16_0495Gian Carlo Minardi, a former F1 team owner and boss, thinks Sebastian Vettel and Adrian Newey might be convinced to switch to

McLaren. Read the rest of this entry »

Older posts «