Tag Archive: Bahrain GP
“We are planning to go. People there seem confident that a race two months away will be alright.”
Bernie Ecclestone has played down the latest reports about violence in Bahrain, insisting April’s 2012 race is still scheduled to go ahead. On the one-year anniversary of the ‘Day of Rage’ unrest, international media agencies claimed violent clashes took place, with youths throwing rocks and petrol bombs and police hitting back with tear-gas, rubber bullets and stun grenades.
With the 2012 season now just weeks away, the most serious doubts yet about April’s returning Bahrain grand prix have emerged.
Reports claim that, on the eve of the one year anniversary of the bloody ‘Day of Rage’ protests that led to the cancellation of the race and test in early 2011, violent clashes involving tear gas-firing police have broken out.
A dark cloud continues to hang over Bahrain’s scheduled return to the F1 calendar in 2012.
In the UK – where eight of the twelve formula one teams are based – the violent attack of a British man by Bahraini youths is making waves. News that the man had his fingers severed by a sword came on the same day as a letter in the Times newspaper signed by several influential Lords called on Bernie Ecclestone and the governing FIA to cancel the race.
“I want to be absolutely convinced that safety there (in Bahrain) is guaranteed.” – Rubens Barrichello
The FIA has signalled the green light but grey clouds of uncertainty continue to hang over the 2011 Bahrain grand prix. After the World Motor Sport Council controversially agreed to reschedule the troubled island Kingdom’s race for late October, protest groups are now calling for a ‘Day of Rage’ to coincide with the event that in March was called off due to violence.
New 2011 season finale date undecided
2011 Bahrain GP to ‘unite people’ – FIA
Bahrain heading for rescheduled 2011 race
The F1 world is awaiting further details but the Bahrain grand prix has definitely been rescheduled for 2011. Sheikh Fawaz al-Khalifa, the island Kingdom’s information affairs chief, ‘tweeted’ earlier on Friday that the FIA is in the process of deciding the race’s new date after the Barcelona meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.
Bahrain uncertainty continues after deadline
“We need to see how the situation develops”
A firm November date has been earmarked for a rescheduled Bahrain grand prix in 2011, according to the latest rumour. The FIA is expected to chime in early this week, after the deadline for the possible rescheduling came and went on Sunday.
Norbert Haug on Thursday said he was doubtful the Bahrain grand prix should be rescheduled in 2011.
An FIA spokesman this week said the May 1 deadline for a possible rescheduling is still in place, despite the island Kingdom declaring a state of emergency as unrest continues. And on Tuesday, FIA president Jean Todt wrote to permanent media pass holders saying “We wish them (Bahrain) well in their ongoing attempts to resolve their issues”.
A dark cloud is lingering above the 2011 season opener.
Anti-government protesters in Bahrain are clashing violently with police, with next month’s grand prix specifically targeted by one group and Bernie Ecclestone admitting “danger”. For formula one, the biggest danger is that the race – scheduled to take place a week after pre-race tests at the same Sakhir circuit – will have to be called off.