Petrov insisted his focus remains on a F1 comeback for 2014.
Vitaly Petrov has revealed he might fill the gap in his formula one career with some rally outings in 2013.
Having debuted with Renault in 2010, the Russian moved on to Caterham last year but has dropped off the grid for 2013 due to flagging sponsorship support. “My main interest is for 2014, when I will try to return to formula one,” the 28-year-old is quoted by championat.com.
Lewis Hamilton on Monday branded those who overlooked Heikki Kovalainen for a 2013 race seat “fools”.
Caterham has swept out last year’s driver lineup – Finn Kovalainen and Russian Vitaly Petrov – in favour of the well-sponsored Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde. When asked about the demise of his former McLaren teammate, Hamilton said on Monday: “When my flight landed and I was driving to Jerez, I thought about what a great pity it is that Heikki is not here.
Vitaly Petrov’s manager admits Caterham was the Russian’s “only possibility” to stay in formula one this season.
Caterham has ended the long wait over its second race driver for 2013, but uncertainty still reigns regarding Force India’s choice.
Ending the hopes of the team’s 2012 lineup Heikki Kovalainen and Vitaly Petrov, Caterham said Dutchman Giedo van der Garde will be Charles Pic’s teammate. “I want to thank (team boss) Cyril (Abiteboul), Tony Fernandes, (sponsor) McGregor and everyone who has worked so hard to make this happen,” said van der Garde.
It was a busy morning in the F1 world, with two teams launching new cars and two drivers edging closer to 2013 race seats.
At Silverstone, Force India’s VJM06 was revealed, but not the identity of the lone Paul di Resta’s teammate. “Our main objective today is to launch the car, and Paul is the key person for doing that,” deputy boss Bob Fernley is quoted by Sky.
Following reports he was the favourite to secure the other Caterham race seat, Vitaly Petrov’s manager actually sounds far from optimistic.
German reports had suggested the Russian has found new sponsors and was on the cusp of sealing the deal to secure his place at the team for 2013. “So far, we haven’t managed to find new sponsors,” Petrov’s manager Oksana Kosachenko is quoted by R-Sport.
Heikki Kovalainen harmed his chances of staying in formula one beyond 2012 by demonstrating a lack of “respect” to Caterham.
That is the claim of Mike Gascoyne, the team’s former technical boss who now oversees the technical operations of the entire Caterham Group. After three years at the back of the grid with Caterham, Finn Kovalainen – now managed by IMG – attempted to secure a better seat for 2013 but ultimately now faces dropping out of formula one altogether.
The team has already filled one of this year’s race seats with 2012 Marussia rookie and Frenchman Charles Pic.
Rumours on Thursday suggested an announcement about his teammate was imminent, with Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov thought to be the front-runners. Russian Petrov’s teammate last year was Finn Heikki Kovalainen.
Giedo van der Garde’s hopes of finally breaking into formula one in 2013 have “shrunk”, according to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.
The now 27-year-old flirted with a move to F1 several years ago with brief test roles at Super Aguri and Spyker, and while racing for Caterham’s GP2 team in 2012 he finished the F1 season as reserve driver for the green-coloured outfit.
Vitaly Petrov’s hopes lie with Caterham, as the Russian bids to stay in formula one for a fourth consecutive season in 2013.
His manager, Oksana Kosachenko, admitted that while there is also still a race seat vacancy at Force India, the 28-year-old driver is only waiting on Caterham’s call. “At the moment, all the necessary work on our part is done — and it’s for Caterham to decide,” she told sportbox.ru.
Switch to our mobile site