McLaren played a role in developing a $1.4 million armoured vehicle for British troops to use in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
Tag Archive: The Sun
McLaren is offering Lewis Hamilton a lucrative new contract for 2013 and beyond, British newspapers are reporting from Monaco.
The stories – in all the major dailies including the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail, Express, the Star, the Sun, the Mirror and the Times – consistently contradicted an earlier rumour that Hamilton might need to take a pay-cut if he wants to stay with the British team beyond this year. The Guardian said McLaren has in fact put a five-year, $150 million contract on the table, which combined with bonuses might mean Hamilton overtakes Fernando Alonso as F1′s highest paid driver.
The penalty might be harsh, but the loss of Lewis Hamilton’s pole in Spain is just the latest calamitous mistake by McLaren.
That was the tone of the paddock’s reaction to the news late on Saturday that a McLaren gaffe saw the FIA send Hamilton from first to last on the Spanish grand prix grid. The Sun newspaper called it a draconian “24-place grid penalty” imposed by the FIA after an “astonishing cock-up” by McLaren.
Damon Hill has backed Bahrain as the island Kingdom returns to the F1 calendar this year.
After last year’s race was cancelled, the 1996 world champion travelled to Bahrain with FIA president Jean Todt and afterwards said he supports the decision to give the Sakhir circuit its April 22 date for 2012.
F1′s field of 2012 reminds one expert pundit of a supermodel without her best assets.
Former driver Hans-Joachim Stuck wrote in his German column for Eurosport that he dislikes the look of this year’s formula one cars. “The tyres are too narrow, the rear wing too small and the front wing too big, and the nose is a complete failure,” he said.
World champion Sebastian Vettel has revealed he hopes Rubens Barrichello can extend his longest-ever formula one career into 2012.
Kubica’s hand surgeon Igor Rossello suggested that the new surgery is relatively minor.
The likelihood of an early 2012 return to the Lotus (currently Renault) team for Robert Kubica appears to have receded even further. The Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Thursday that the Polish driver, who has already undergone five operations since his February rally crash, is scheduled to have more surgery in the coming days.
After defending the talents of world champion Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso now insists his teammate Felipe Massa is also a top driver.
Brazilian Massa has appeared to struggle alongside Ferrari’s highly rated lead driver in the last two seasons, but Spaniard Alonso insists the 30-year-old is on the pace. “I do not have things easy with him (Massa), we are very close to each other,” Auto Bild Motorsport quotes him as saying.
The days are over when Ferrari is seen to enjoy a position of privilege in formula one.
That is the belief of two highly experienced F1 paddock veterans; the Brazilian journalist Livio Oricchio, and Red Bull’s technical boss Adrian Newey. The former, who writes for the O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, said Pirelli’s choice of tyre compound for next weekend’s British grand prix is proof Ferrari can no longer overtly exert its influence.
The FIA is pressing ahead with its clampdown on blown exhaust technology following a meeting in London.
The technical working group met with Charlie Whiting on Thursday where, despite some controversy, the FIA delegate told teams they will have to severely limit their off-throttle diffuser exhaust blowing from next month’s British grand prix.
“If you give up, it’s over for you” – Buemi
As Daniel Ricciardo admits there is a chance he could make his F1 debut in 2011, Sebastien Buemi insists he is not losing sleep. “Compared to my teammate I’ve never done badly,” Swiss Buemi, referring to Jaime Alguersuari, is quoted as saying by the British newspaper The Sun.
Three F1 figures have come out in support of Bernie Ecclestone’s ‘rain button’ proposal.
Other commentators have slammed the idea or accused the F1 chief executive of doing nothing more than drum up publicity. The 80-year-old has proposed that, to spice up the action, tracks could be artificially watered during races “maybe with a two minute warning”.
Kimi Raikkonen has been linked with Webber’s seat
At least three media sources are claiming Mark Webber is a contender to replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari next year. Britain’s The Sun, the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo, and British journalist James Allen all reported the rumour from the scene of this weekend’s Monaco grand prix.