The Spaniard’s charge, however, was thwarted by a failing DRS rear wing flap
Eleven rounds make 2013 season. Abu Dhabi hosts final round
The GP2 Series™ organisers have revealed their 2013 calendar today which will consist of eleven rounds in total, all support events of the official Formula OneTM World Championship. Seven rounds will be held in Europe whilst four overseas events have been added, making it once again an international Series.
The FIA is “nervous” ahead of formula one’s still-controversial return to Bahrain in 2013.
After the 2011 race was cancelled due to civil unrest in the island Kingdom, the sport’s return to Sakhir this year was hugely controversial. And “top-level figures” at the sport’s Paris-based governing body “are already nervous” that the 2013 edition – scheduled for next late April – will be “another horrifying embarrassment”, according to Times correspondent Kevin Eason.
Bernie Ecclestone has revealed he was not happy Bahrain organisers used the acronym ‘F1′ in its political slogan for last weekend’s race.
The F1 chief executive was highly supportive of the island Kingdom’s intensely controversial return to the sport’s calendar, insisting Bahrain will retain its grand prix “forever”. But when asked about the banners around the Sakhir circuit and the island Kingdom that read ‘UniF1ed’, 81-year-old Ecclestone admitted to the Mirror: “We never put it there.
Nico Rosberg escaped unscathed but the bird was not so lucky, after a 200kph collision in Bahrain during Friday practice.
Bild newspaper reports that the Shanghai winner, and Friday afternoon’s fastest in the island Kingdom, came to blows with a wayward feathered-friend as Rosberg’s Mercedes circulated the Sakhir circuit.
Bahrain’s grand prix chief on Thursday played down the incident that caused a member of the Force India team to pull out of the event.
The team member was granted permission by Force India chiefs to head back to the UK, after a rented van carrying his colleagues was caught up in a Molotov cocktail attack on the return trip from the circuit late on Wednesday.
A travelling F1 journalist believes this weekend’s controversial Bahrain grand prix could go ahead without problems.
Ahead of the island Kingdom’s highly-contentious return to the F1 calendar this weekend after a two-year absence due to civil unrest, some of the sport’s correspondents have this week been reporting from the scene of often violent protests.
Damon Hill has backed Bahrain as the island Kingdom returns to the F1 calendar this year.
After last year’s race was cancelled, the 1996 world champion travelled to Bahrain with FIA president Jean Todt and afterwards said he supports the decision to give the Sakhir circuit its April 22 date for 2012.
Organisers of the Bahrain grand prix have admitted disappointment with being bumped from the head of the 2012 calendar.
F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has suggested the event will only be cancelled again in extreme circumstances.
F1′s governing body will decide if it is right for the sport to return to Bahrain in April, the bosses of top teams Red Bull and Ferrari said this week. Amid reports of continuing unrest in the island Kingdom and claims F1 should boycott the event also on moral grounds, the Sakhir circuit on Wednesday was pushing ahead with preparations for Bahrain’s return in 2012.
Switch to our mobile site