Fernando Alonso has backed Lewis Hamilton’s decision to leave McLaren.
“The drivers are going to get their feet wet when it rains”
Two authoritative sources have admitted they doubt Adrian Newey was telling the whole truth about the air inlet in the ‘step’ nose of Red Bull’s 2012 car. Designer Newey, the pioneer of the now-banned blown diffuser solutions seen throughout last year’s grid, insisted that the mysterious letterbox-slot gap in the RB8 is simply to cool the drivers with air.
Trulli doubts Raikkonen to be fast on return
Jarno Trulli has admitted that trying to get Caterham up to speed in formula one is the toughest challenge of his long formula one career. With 13 seasons, approaching a dozen podiums and a Monaco victory under his belt, the veteran Italian switched to the new Tony Fernandes-headed team – then called Lotus – in 2010.
A trio of former F1 drivers doubt Sebastian Vettel will trouble Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of seven world titles.
Nick Heidfeld on Sunday insisted he is still pushing to stay in formula one, even though he is being strongly linked with a move to DTM.
The German veteran has been ousted at Renault but despite attending the weekend’s German touring car round at Oschersleben he said F1 remains his target for 2012. “There are still a few places, but not many,” the 34-year-old told the German broadcaster ARD. “As long as there is a chance of a formula one cockpit, I will work for it.”
His achievements are blackened by controversial incidents
On the 20th anniversary of his 1991 debut, Michael Schumacher has shown a rare moment of contrition as he looks back at his F1 career. He is faraway the most successful driver in the sport’s history, but according to some his achievements are blackened by controversial incidents including Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997 and ‘Rascasse’ 2006.
Welcome to the start of 2011’s eagerly awaited Formula One season.
As always Shell has been working shoulder to shoulder with Scuderia Ferrari during the winter break, helping to prepare the team for the season ahead. The first race of the season is the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park in Melbourne.
Nick Heidfeld has moved tantalisingly close to securing a race drive for the 2011 season.
The prime candidate to replace injured Robert Kubica, 33-year-old German Heidfeld tested the Renault R31 at Jerez on Saturday and topped the timesheet. Team boss Eric Boullier said he had made a “very positive” impression.
He ruled out buying the struggling HRT team.
Joan Villadelprat on Monday insisted he has not given up on bringing his Spanish Le Mans team Epsilon Euskadi into formula one. The Spaniard tried to acquire the thirteenth and final team entry for 2011, but the FIA ruled that none of the applicants had the financial resources to justify the go-ahead.
FIA’s decision about the 13th team entry is due late this month.
Joan Villadelprat is eager for the FIA to make its decision about the identity of F1′s thirteenth team for 2011. The formula one veteran, who has worked at Tyrrell, McLaren, Ferrari, Benetton and Prost, is now pushing to bring his own Le Mans prototype and junior single seaters team Epsilon Euskadi onto the grid.
A press conference is then scheduled for the afternoon.
Epsilon Euskadi could be set to take another step towards becoming F1′s thirteenth and final team for the 2011 season. We reported in March that the Spanish outfit would apply for the berth following the FIA’s invitation for expressions of interest.
Switch to our mobile site