“The ERS F1 engine will be fundamentally different”
Alain Prost, the quadruple world champion, is hopeful France could finally return to the F1 calendar next year.
Recently, following his native country’s five year absence from the schedule, Magny Cours and Paul Ricard were linked with a possible French grand prix for 2013. “I still read in the press that there are opportunities for 2013,” Prost, who was involved in the talks, is quoted by France’s Sport24.
In the 2013 season, the race calendar of the planet’s most competitive young-gun series will comprise 10 race weekends in six European countries.
The season will be kicked off as early as on 23 and 24 March in Italy, with the season finale (26-27 October) being held in France. The hopeful Formula 3 talents will race in the support programme of WTCC, WEC and DTM races at tradition-rich motor-racing venues that always are attended by big crowds.
There will be no French grand prix in 2013, according to the sports daily L’Equipe.
There had been moves afoot to revive the country’s defunct grand prix, at either Paul Ricard or Magny Cours. But L’Equipe said the French sanctioning body FFSA had not, by Tuesday’s deadline, received a request to apply to be added to the FIA’s 2013 schedule.
The F1 world should handle with caution Bernie Ecclestone’s suggestion his sport could be heading back to Magny-Cours.
Amid reports Paul Ricard is leading France’s bid to revive the country’s defunct grand prix in 2013, F1 chief executive Ecclestone said this week: “If we go to France, it will be Magny Cours”. But former French F1 driver Patrick Tambay told RMC Sport that commentators “must be wary” of the wily 82-year-old’s comments.
Bernie Ecclestone has named Magny-Cours as the likely venue for a 2013 French grand prix.
Quadruple world champion Alain Prost was in Abu Dhabi last weekend for talks with the F1 chief executive about Paul Ricard’s race bid, and potential investors. But Ecclestone is quoted by Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport: “If we go to France (next year), it will be Magny Cours.”
Paul Ricard has recruited Alain Prost to lead the talks with Bernie Ecclestone about reviving the French grand prix in 2013.
Media sources RMC Sport and L’Equipe said the four-time world champion and former F1 team owner has travelled to Abu Dhabi this weekend, to step up the talks with the F1 chief executive. RMC said Prost’s meeting with Ecclestone is scheduled for Saturday.
Paul Ricard will hold more talks with Bernie Ecclestone over France’s potential return to the F1 calendar in 2013.
After the circuit’s boss Stephane Clair last week indicated a “90 per cent” possibility that France will replace the delayed New York grand prix next year, F1′s chief executive Ecclestone indicated similarly in India on Sunday.
Paul Ricard boss Stephane Clair says there is a “90 per cent” chance the French circuit will host a grand prix in 2013.
He suggested to Le Figaro that the country is first in line to step in to replace the delayed New York grand prix. “We do not need the state (to contribute financially) for our project,” said Clair. He said the 2013 calendar would need to be tweaked, but suggested France could be slotted in for early September, creating a sequence of historic European races moving from Belgium, to France and then Italy.
Jaime Alguersuari is preparing to announce his plans for 2013, having wrapped up his on-track duties as Pirelli test driver.
“New challenges, new goals. Follow me very soon,” the slogan on the former Toro Rosso racer’s official website reads. The 22-year-old has just concluded his last Pirelli test, at Paul Ricard in France.
Alain Prost has admitted he can imagine former rival Michael Schumacher extending his career into a twentieth season in 2013.
When asked about Schumacher’s deliberations now that he has been ousted by Mercedes, Frenchman Prost answered: “I was not particularly positive when he returned (in 2010). I don’t quite understand why.
Carlos Ghosn, the chief executive of Renault, said he does not regret keeping the Paris-based carmaker in formula one.
Renault no longer owns and runs its own team, but amid the manufacturer exodus of a few years ago, the marque chose to stay on the grid as an engine supplier. “We are involved and we want to stay, definitely,” Ghosn said at the Paris motor show.
Switch to our mobile site