May 19th before the start of the 24-hour race around the Nürburgring
Bernie Ecclestone has tipped his friend Sebastian Vettel to win a fourth consecutive world championship in 2013.
“I see it in this order: Vettel, Alonso, Button and Hamilton,” he told the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport. The F1 chief executive said he was curious to see how Mercedes’ sweeping changes for this season will make a difference, and said McLaren has a “better chance” to win the 2013 title compared to last year.
Nurburgring officials have reached an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to host the German grand prix as scheduled in July.
That is the claim of the German newspapers Allgemeine Zeitung and Rhein Zeitung, following a long-running ‘on again, off again’ saga surrounding the fortunes of the financially beleaguered Nurburgring.
Bernie Ecclestone has called off negotiations with the Nurburgring, according to Germany’s Der Spiegel.
Bernie Ecclestone has not given up on F1′s scheduled return to the Nurburgring in 2013.
The financially-embattled venue is scheduled to host the July race, but it is also possible Hockenheim could step in at the last minute. “I am doing my best to make sure we do not lose formula one in Germany,” Ecclestone, 82, is quoted by the Allgemeine Zeitung.
Austria and Turkey will not be on F1′s 2013 calendar, while the Nurburgring looks set to host this year’s German grand prix.
“It should be the Nurburgring, we will try to make it possible,” Bernie Ecclestone is quoted by the Austrian newspaper Kronen Zeitung. Media reports said meetings between the financially embattled German circuit’s officials and the F1 chief executive will take place imminently in London.
The Nurburgring will host this year’s German grand prix as scheduled, a major local newspaper has declared.
The fate of the 2013 race had been in doubt because of the Nurburgring’s well-documented financial problems. But the Bild-Zeitung daily said the German grand prix, as well as GP2 and GP3 support races, will be held at the track in early July, as per the published FIA calendar.
In the 2013 season, the race calendar of the planet’s most competitive young-gun series will comprise 10 race weekends in six European countries.
The season will be kicked off as early as on 23 and 24 March in Italy, with the season finale (26-27 October) being held in France. The hopeful Formula 3 talents will race in the support programme of WTCC, WEC and DTM races at tradition-rich motor-racing venues that always are attended by big crowds.
Germany’s recent formula one hosts, the Nurburgring and Hockenheim, are still both in the running to stage next year’s July race.
As per the venues’ alternating agreement, the financially-embattled Nurburgring was originally scheduled to organise the 2013 event. But Malu Dreyer, the incoming minister-president for the ruling government of the Rhineland-Palatinate state, said the Nurburgring is still in the running.
Nurburgring officials say they were “confident” after meeting late last week in London with Bernie Ecclestone.
Earlier, it was believed the circuit’s hopes of organising next year’s German grand prix had been dashed by financial problems and a breakdown in talks. But, back at the circuit on Friday, officials Jorg Lindner and Kai Richter said their Thursday meeting with F1 chief executive Ecclestone had left them feeling “confident”, according to the German language Spox.
There is still a chance the Nurburgring will host the German grand prix as scheduled next year.
With the famous circuit now in an insolvency process, an official said recently there is little chance a formula one race will be held there in 2013. But SID news agency reports that the Nurburgring has in fact been empowered to negotiate with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.
Switch to our mobile site