“You must always look to improve … without damaging what you have”
Mercedes is bidding to shed its “conservative” image, new director and team co-owner Toto Wolff has revealed.
Over the winter, it has been all change at the German team; swapping Michael Schumacher with Lewis Hamilton, Norbert Haug with Austrian Wolff and Niki Lauda, and soon set to push ahead with McLaren’s ex technical chief Paddy Lowe.
Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche has played down expectations ahead of Mercedes’ fourth-consecutive season as a works formula one team.
Bernie Ecclestone has suggested Mercedes can cope without its current team boss Ross Brawn.
It has been rumoured Briton Brawn could be pushed out of the Brackley based team altogether, or confined to a merely technical directorship, in the wake of the arrival of Austrian chiefs and shareholders Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda.
Dieter Zetsche, the chairman of the German marque’s parent Daimler, says Mercedes must be pushing for the world championship by 2014.
Admitting that the appointments of Lewis Hamilton and Niki Lauda, and the departure of Norbert Haug, were because of Mercedes’ lack of recent success, he also acknowledged that the silver team will not be in a title-winning position this year.
Norbert Haug has admitted he is stepping down due to Mercedes’ lack of success as a works team since 2010.
But in an interview with Germany’s Bild daily, he denied reports he is being made a scapegoat. “No, I’m not,” said Haug, who served as the German marque’s motor sport vice president for more than two decades.
Michael Schumacher has admitted his fitness could slip now that he is returning to retirement.
But the great seven time world champion, who after almost two decades on the F1 grid is now retiring for a second time, told his fans not to worry about him. “Why would anyone worry what Michael Schumacher is going to do when he stops?” the 43-year-old is quoted by RTL.
Norbert Haug fell on his sword due to Mercedes’ failure to succeed in its first three years, Niki Lauda has confirmed.
Following last week’s shock news, many sensed the new non-executive chairman Lauda’s influence when it was announced that Haug is stepping down after 22 years in charge at the German marque. But the great Austrian insists he was as surprised as anyone.
“Horner has extended his contract with us last week, by several years.”
Red Bull has extended its contract with team boss Christian Horner, the energy drink company’s motor sport chief Dr Helmut Marko has claimed. The news follows speculation at the weekend that, in the wake of Norbert Haug’s shock departure at Mercedes, the German marque had targeted Briton Horner as a potential successor.
Norbert Haug has denied Niki Lauda played a decisive role in his departure as Mercedes’ motor sport boss.
When it was announced on Thursday that, after 22 years, 60-year-old Haug will not be with the German marque in 2013, some sensed the hand of Mercedes’ new non-executive chairman, triple world champion and Austrian great Lauda.
After more than 22 years as Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, Daimler AG Vice President Norbert Haug will conclude his career at the end of 2012.
His contract will come to an end by mutual agreement with the Board of Management. Preparations for the forthcoming season continue as planned. Norbert Haug has led the Motorsport division of Mercedes-Benz since 1 October 1990. In that time, Mercedes-Benz and its partners won six Formula One world championship titles and took 87 Formula One victories.
Switch to our mobile site