Ferrari turned down Pedro de la Rosa when the Spaniard was first on the market as a test driver.
Sebastien Buemi is not getting excited despite preparing to clock up a career milestone this weekend.
Blick newspaper points out that the 22-year-old Swiss, who debuted for his current team Toro Rosso as a teenager in 2009, will contest his fiftieth consecutive grand prix in Singapore. He will therefore draw level with Luca Badoer and move ahead of the career tallies of predecessors including Christian Klien and Derek Daly, and even race winner Jean-Pierre Jabouille as well as Mike Hailwood.
Mercedes not worried about Schumacher motorcycle test
Norbert Haug has played down the latest criticisms of Michael Schumacher’s performance in 2010. Eddie Jordan, the seven time world champion’s first F1 employer back in 1991, this week described the German’s decision to return to the sport as a “huge personal error”.
Fisichella, 36, was earlier signed as Ferrari’s reserve driver for 2010
According to Spain’s Diario AS, the only obstacle to Pedro de la Rosa returning to the F1 grid in 2010 is Giancarlo Fisichella. The sports daily said Fisichella, the Roman veteran of the past 13 full seasons, is the only real alternative to de la Rosa as Sauber contemplates an experienced teammate for Kamui Kobayashi.
“It’s probably good that it did not work out” -Hulkenberg
Nico Hulkenberg has revealed that talks earlier this year could have led to his formula one race debut at the wheel of Ferrari’s 2009 car. In the wake of Felipe Massa’s Hungary accident and the demise of his initial replacements Michael Schumacher and Luca Badoer, 22-year-old Hulkenberg’s name was among the many linked with the cockpit.
Spanish bank and Brazilian ace together on track
Felipe Massa has unveiled Santander as his main sponsor in the two major kart races organized in Brazil. The Spanish giant bank will back Massa at the “International Challenge of Go-Kart Champions” on Saturday and Sunday (November 28-29) in Florianópolis and the following week at Granja Viana 500 Mile in Cotia near São Paulo.
Rossi reveals Monza ‘talks’ with Ferrari
Felipe Massa’s personal doctor has played down suggestions the Brazilian may not be able to make a swift return to formula one due to the risk of repeat injuries. “After his return he will be even stronger than before,” Dino Altman is quoted as saying from Sao Paulo by Germany’s RTL.
Badoer hits out at media after losing seat
Ferrari did not deem it necessary to push for Giancarlo Fisichella to have a track test before his debut for the Italian team at Monza this weekend. It is reported that the Roman has been busy in the Ferrari driver simulator, and that other avenues open to the 36-year-old amid the F1 test ban would have been short tests on Bridgestone’s promotional tyres, or a run in an older single seater.
Fisichella to replace Badoer for rest of 2009
Stefano Domenicali confirmed on Thursday that Giancarlo Fisichella will be Ferrari’s reserve driver in 2010. The team boss was speaking to the Ferrari website on the day the 36-year-old former Force India driver arrived at Maranello from Rome to begin preparing for the last five races of 2009.
Schu to be at Monza – spokeswoman
With Felipe Massa still recovering from injury, Ferrari is to announce its plans for the Italian grand prix and beyond on Thursday. Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport said there are three alternatives for the cockpit of car number three for Monza: the struggling Luca Badoer, Giancarlo Fisichella, or BMW-Sauber’s Robert Kubica.
Massa to return at start of 2010 – Ferrari
With Force India wanting to hang on to Giancarlo Fisichella, the latest driver in “pole position” for Luca Badoer’s temporary Ferrari race seat is Robert Kubica, according to Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport on Tuesday. The Polish driver, 24, is reportedly keen on the drive in the wake of his current employer BMW’s decision to pull out of formula one at the end of the season.
Switch to our mobile site