“Maybe I’m wrong, but I refuse to think about 2014.”
More countries have followed Britain’s lead in seeing their exclusive free-to-air television coverage of formula one end.
With the 19-race 2013 season not yet upon us, plenty of plans are already being made for the following championship.
Asked what the biggest challenge was in designing this year’s Lotus E21, James Allison confided to Speed Week: “The fact that so many good people are working on the 2014 car.” After a few years of regulation stability, Allison said the changes coming for 2014 – notably the ‘ERS’ energy recovery systems and V6 turbo engines – represent a “tsunami” for F1.
Jean-Eric Vergne has revealed he is still in the running to move up to Red Bull’s championship-winning team in 2014.
The Frenchman, who last year debuted for the energy drink company’s junior squad Toro Rosso, said he and continuing teammate Daniel Ricciardo are potential candidates in the event Mark Webber does not stay beyond his contract this year.
There will be no French grand prix in 2013, according to the sports daily L’Equipe.
There had been moves afoot to revive the country’s defunct grand prix, at either Paul Ricard or Magny Cours. But L’Equipe said the French sanctioning body FFSA had not, by Tuesday’s deadline, received a request to apply to be added to the FIA’s 2013 schedule.
Sauber replaces Kobayashi with Gutierrez
The Sauber F1 Team has finalised its line-up for the 2013 season: Esteban Gutiérrez is confirmed as the team’s second race driver. The 21-year old Mexican will be driving alongside Nico Hülkenberg (GER). Robin Frijns, from the Netherlands, who is only two days younger than Esteban, has been taken on board as the team’s test and reserve driver.
Jean-Eric Vergne thinks his paymasters still believe he has what it takes to perform in formula one.
The 22-year-old Frenchman’s debut season with the Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso has been mixed. On the one hand, he has out-scored his slightly more experienced teammate Daniel Ricciardo, but on the other he was ousted from the initial ‘Q1′ qualifying segment on no fewer than 8 occasions so far.
The contenders are lining at the door to fill Force India’s vacancy for 2013.
With Nico Hulkenberg switching to Sauber, there are plenty of suitors for the seat alongside Paul di Resta. Spain’s Marca sports daily said Pirelli tester Jaime Alguersuari has been offered a drive by BMW to race in the DTM touring car series next year.
Paul Ricard has recruited Alain Prost to lead the talks with Bernie Ecclestone about reviving the French grand prix in 2013.
Media sources RMC Sport and L’Equipe said the four-time world champion and former F1 team owner has travelled to Abu Dhabi this weekend, to step up the talks with the F1 chief executive. RMC said Prost’s meeting with Ecclestone is scheduled for Saturday.
Ecclestone is tipped to present the draft 2013 calendar to the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council for approval on Friday
Despite the French government ruling out financial support, Paul Ricard could still be in the running to revive the country’s defunct grand prix. Le Parisien said the Le Castellet project had already anticipated the government’s decision when it framed its EUR 30 million budget.
Switch to our mobile site