Melbourne is happy with the mid-March slot
The particularly slippery conditions suffered by drivers at the new Circuit of the Americas this weekend is caused by oil, not dust.
Mark Webber has warned that the 2012 championship finale may not be as spectacular as some are expecting.
The Australian’s Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel, and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, are separated by just 10 points with only the Austin and Brazil races now to come. But Webber told WA Today: “They may not even see each other on-track — that’s the way it turns out sometimes.
Romain Grosjean has vowed to continue his overly-cautious approach to the start of grands prix.
The Frenchman was noticeably guarded on the run to the first corner in Korea two weeks ago, having been reportedly warned that more start crashes could mean a multiple-race ban, or possibly even the loss of his Lotus seat for 2013.
Fernando Alonso is still very much in the running for the 2012 title.
That is the claim of former Ferrari and Sauber driver Mika Salo, who said many figures in the paddock also doubt that Sebastian Vettel will necessarily stroll to his third consecutive drivers’ title over the season’s final four races. German Vettel finally took over Spaniard Alonso’s long-held championship lead in Korea recently with his increasingly dominant Red Bull.
Ferrari has travelled to India with some improvements for its 2012 car, test driver Marc Gene has revealed.
Despite admitting its wind tunnel has not always been up to scratch this year, the Italian team remains determined to fight back after Fernando Alonso lost his long-standing championship lead to Red Bull’s on-form Sebastian Vettel two weeks ago in Korea.
Two tenths of a second could ensure Fernando Alonso is able to win the 2012 world championship.
“We need to find at least two tenths,” Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. Although Alonso’s fastest race lap in Korea last time out was four tenths off the fastest Red Bull, Felipe Massa was just two tenths adrift the ultimate pace in the sister F2012.
Martin Brundle is tipping the furore surrounding Romain Grosjean’s antics to calm down in the coming weeks.
In Korea recently, the Frenchman was notably cautious on track, amid suggestions he faced multiple race bans if he got himself into yet more trouble. Grosjean has been involved in several incidents near the start of races so far this year, and was banned at Monza.
Indeed, 20 Minutos claims Alonso will be running the Massa-specification on his own red car next weekend in India.
Ferrari raced an all-new Red Bull-style exhaust on only Felipe Massa’s car in Korea last weekend, according to the Spanish newspaper 20 Minutos. The news would explain the Brazilian driver’s better pace than teammate Fernando Alonso in the sister F2012, and also the Spaniard’s confidence that he is still in the running to beat Sebastian Vettel to the title despite a new 6-point championship deficit and Red Bull’s recent dominance.
Fernando Alonso will focus intensely on the final four races of the season amid a ‘media muzzle’, according to the German newspaper Bild.
The report said Ferrari’s Spaniard – who finally lost his championship lead as his on-form title rival Sebastian Vettel won a third consecutive grand prix on Sunday – will not give any more interviews as the 2012 season draws to a close over the next six weeks through India, Abu Dhabi, the US and finally Brazil.
Felipe Massa has dismissed claims he has now signed a new deal to stay with Ferrari in 2013.
Intense paddock speculation in Korea suggests the deal is either done or imminently due, and 31-year-old Massa’s good mood has added fuel to the fire. “Well, I’m always in a good mood,” the Brazilian smiled to Spanish sports daily Marca.
Spain’s El Confidencial observed that the 26-year-old will, in Korea, be a “trout among piranhas”.
Romain Grosjean is expecting his rivals to ramp up the pressure as he vows to get through the first corner in Korea without incident. The Frenchman’s career is on the line following a string of first-lap crashes in 2012 and his Monza race ban, and most recently yet another incident at Suzuka.
Switch to our mobile site