“Formula one isn’t the only racing”
Kamui Kobayashi, who has lost his race seat at Sauber, will continue his career in Le Mans-style GT sports car racing in 2013.
Last month, the popular Japanese tested for the closely Ferrari-linked AF Corse sports car team. He has now inked a deal to contest this year’s World Endurance Championship at the wheel of a Ferrari 458.
As the F1 world looks set to race on without him, Jaime Alguersuari has decried a sport whose seats are now sold to the highest bidder.
Kamui Kobayashi looks set to continue his motor racing career in Le Mans-style sports car racing.
After three full seasons in F1, the popular and exciting Japanese lost his Sauber race seat for 2013 and failed to find refuge elsewhere. Media reports say he will test for the Ferrari-linked AF Corse sports car team in Spain this week.
The world of F1 is “obviously” moving on without Kamui Kobayashi, according to experienced Japanese journalist Kunio Shibata.
Kobayashi, who according to 1980 world champion Alan Jones was Japan’s best ever F1 driver, lost his Sauber race seat for 2013. “Kimi is unseen by the public, and not in the newspapers,” Shibata, who writes for GPX magazine, said.
Reports that Kamui Kobayashi would be unveiled as Pirelli’s new F1 test driver on Wednesday were wide of the mark.
The Italian marque’s Paul Hembery said in Milan that, so long as the contract to supply tyres to F1 teams is extended beyond 2013, Jaime Alguersuari and Lucas di Grassi will almost certainly keep their jobs this year.
’Problem child’ Grosjean keeps Lotus seat
Newly-crowned ROC Champion of Champions Romain Grosjean aims to build on his stunning victory at the Race Of Champions when he returns to Formula 1 in 2013. Lotus, and major sponsor Total, had reportedly considered ousting 26-year-old Frenchman Grosjean in the wake of his often impressive yet tumultuous return to F1 this year.
Force India is set to announce the identity of Paul di Resta’s 2013 teammate.
The Indian news service IANS said that although the official announcement has been delayed, the Vijay Mallya-led team is finally almost ready now to make the call. “The announcement should take place next week,” a ‘top source’ at the Silverstone based team was quoted saying late last week.
Sebastien Buemi says he is still in the running to secure the Force India race seat for 2013.
And the Swiss, who was dropped by Toro Rosso at the end of last year but subsequently signed up as Red Bull’s reserve driver, told the Blick newspaper that he might also be a candidate to replace the erratic Romain Grosjean at Lotus.
As the candidates clamour for his seat, Romain Grosjean has acknowledged that formula one is a “world without pity”.
“Yes,” he confirmed to the Swiss daily Le Matin. “But that’s normal for the top level. “It’s also the case with banking and watchmaking. There is no room for mercy. “Seats in F1 are scarce; there are no presents.”
A video has emerged that clearly depicts Sebastian Vettel overtaking under yellow flag conditions during Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix.
Kamui Kobayashi has already raised more than EUR 600,000 as he bids to pay for a formula one seat in 2013.
Having lost his Sauber seat, the Japanese set up a website asking for donations from his fans. He wrote on Twitter on Tuesday that, in the first few days of the kamui-support.com website being live, he has already raised much more than half a million euros.
Switch to our mobile site