“So we’re actually a little disappointed by this change”
Jaime Alguersuari has leapt to Pirelli’s defense, claiming this year’s tyres are actually better than the 2012 range.
Throughout the winter, tales of disintegrating tyres have raised alarm up and down the paddock, with some predicting handfuls of pitstops come Melbourne. Speaking on Austrian television Servus TV, Pirelli test driver Alguersuari admitted there is a “big difference” between last year’s tyres and the 2013 range.
Unable to find a race seat for his F1 return, Jaime Alguersuari has signed up for a season of kart racing.
Heikki Kovalainen is a strong candidate to become a test driver for official F1 tyre supplier Pirelli.
But Paul Hembery, the Italian marque’s F1 boss, admitted it all depends on whether Pirelli’s contract to supply tyres to the pinnacle of motor racing is extended. “This question is still open,” he is quoted by Finland’s Turun Sanomat.
Reports that Kamui Kobayashi would be unveiled as Pirelli’s new F1 test driver on Wednesday were wide of the mark.
The Italian marque’s Paul Hembery said in Milan that, so long as the contract to supply tyres to F1 teams is extended beyond 2013, Jaime Alguersuari and Lucas di Grassi will almost certainly keep their jobs this year.
Ferrari has until Friday to lodge a protest against the results of Sunday’s championship-deciding Brazilian grand prix.
The possibility that Sebastian Vettel could lose his 2012 title, to the benefit of Fernando Alonso, has arisen after video footage emerged on the internet depicting Vettel overtaking at Interlagos possibly under yellow flags.
Ralf Schumacher has defended his brother, after Michael let Sebastian Vettel easily overtake during Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix.
Seven time world champion Schumacher, 43, has received some criticism for letting his friend and countryman Vettel overtake without a fight as the latter raced for his third consecutive drivers’ world championship at Interlagos.
Jaime Alguersuari is continuing to wait on his future, admitting it might be January before he knows what he will be doing in 2013.
“Not yet,” the former Toro Rosso driver, and 2012 Pirelli tester, told the AS newspaper when asked if he is now ready to announce the news. “We may not be able to communicate about 2013 until January. It’s also possible that it will be in the coming days.”
Adrian Sutil is on his way back to formula one and Force India, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.
However, the Silverstone based team’s sporting boss Otmar Szafnauer denied the deal is done: “We have not signed a contract with any driver,” he insisted. Team owner and boss Vijay Mallya, however, has mentioned German Sutil’s name several times in recent weeks, as the team looks to replace the Sauber-bound Nico Hulkenberg.
“I had it available, but I decided I’d be better with the old one. That was the only difference.”
As was rumoured before F1 arrived in Austin last week, the latest developments for Fernando Alonso’s title-contending Ferrari did not work. New pieces, including a new diffuser, were tried in a straight line at the Idiada facility in Spain, prior to the US grand prix.
Force India will wait until the end of the season before announcing its driver lineup for 2013.
It is, however, an open secret that Paul di Resta is staying put, after his 2012 teammate Nico Hulkenberg penned a deal to switch to Sauber next season. The list of candidates to replace German Hulkenberg is long, ranging from Toro Rosso’s former Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi, ex-team driver Adrian Sutil and reservist Jules Bianchi.
Paul Hembery has named a trio of potential candidates to be F1 tyre supplier Pirelli’s test driver in 2013.
The Briton, who is the head of the Italian marque’s F1 programme, confirmed that Brazilian Lucas di Grassi’s testing contract runs to the end of next year. “Lucas does a great job for us. After next year his continuation depends on our decision to stay or not in 2013,” Hembery told Brazil’s Totalrace.
Switch to our mobile site