“We are more stoic, more phlegmatic (than last year).”
Members of F1′s travelling circus have been admitted to hospital in Austin, the Swiss newspaper Blick reports.
The report said three members of the press from Portugal, Denmark and England respectively, and “some members” of the Red Bull team, are in hospital. Rumours suggest the Briton involved is the well-known photographer Keith Sutton, while the other two press-men are journalists Peter Nygaard and Luis Vasconcelos.
The particularly slippery conditions suffered by drivers at the new Circuit of the Americas this weekend is caused by oil, not dust.
The current owners are seeking EUR 40 million for the struggling backmarker HRT, according to the Spanish sports daily AS.
The newspaper also revealed that talks with potential buyers from India and Abu Dhabi are underway. HRT, currently owned by Madrid based investment company Thesan Capital, confirmed this week that “the time has come for the team to continue growing with new financial backing”.
Mark Webber has warned that the 2012 championship finale may not be as spectacular as some are expecting.
The Australian’s Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel, and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, are separated by just 10 points with only the Austin and Brazil races now to come. But Webber told WA Today: “They may not even see each other on-track — that’s the way it turns out sometimes.
Telmex chief and Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim could have a substantial influence on the final decision.
If Sauber’s biggest sponsor has its way, Esteban Gutierrez will next year line up on the grid alongside confirmed 2013 driver Nico Hulkenberg. Gutierrez’s fellow Mexican Sergio Perez, who is heading to McLaren, was until now the cream of Sauber backer Telmex’s F1 programme for the last two years.
“Starting higher up means we can put pressure on the Red Bulls. So far Sebastian has been driving away too easily.”
Ferrari is focused on improving the rear wing of its 2012 car, as Fernando Alonso pushes to rescue his dwindling championship challenge to Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel. Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said the Italian team has acknowledged that while Red Bull is not far away in race pace, the F2012 is struggling primarily in qualifying.
“We have small improvements coming to Abu Dhabi, and more in America”
Fernando Alonso has dismissed as “not true” reports in the Italian press of a post-qualifying row with Ferrari team members in India last weekend. La Stampa newspaper claimed the Spaniard took exception to media comments by Ferrari’s British technical director Pat Fry, and threatened to publish a ‘tweet’ about a lack of aerodynamic progress during his fading 2012 title battle.
“Both of our drivers are experienced enough to know what is at stake for the team.” – Christian Horner
With Mark Webber a massive 73 points behind his teammate but so far refusing to play a subordinate role to Sebastian Vettel, the ‘team orders’ issue remains a pertinent one as Red Bull pushes for another drivers’ title. Australian Webber said in India that he has no intention of “pulling over” for the sister RB8, despite rumours a specific points gap laid out in his contract now requires him to support Vettel’s charge.
Paul Ricard will hold more talks with Bernie Ecclestone over France’s potential return to the F1 calendar in 2013.
After the circuit’s boss Stephane Clair last week indicated a “90 per cent” possibility that France will replace the delayed New York grand prix next year, F1′s chief executive Ecclestone indicated similarly in India on Sunday.
Bernie Ecclestone is certain F1 cars will not be powered by electricity in the pitlanes of 2014.
Actually, the electric-only idea is already enshrined in the incoming new turbo V6 rules. F1′s chief executive admitted in India at the weekend that he has given up on trying to stop the V6s from being introduced in 2014.
Red Bull’s reserve driver Sebastien Buemi on Sunday had a meeting with Force India officials, Blick newspaper reports from India.
The Swiss, who lost his Toro Rosso race seat at the end of last season, has already been named as a possible successor for the probably Sauber-bound Nico Hulkenberg. Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko also seemed to confirm the possibility Buemi is in with a shot of the Force India cockpit.
“It is better to keep politics out of the race.”
Narain Karthikeyan has explained why he did not respond to the Ferrari flag controversy at the weekend by flying the colours of India’s navy. Ferrari irked Indian nationals and officials at the weekend by putting the flag logo of the Italian navy on the front of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa’s F1 cars.
Bernie Ecclestone has tipped Sebastian Vettel to achieve Michael Schumacher-like success in formula one.
Back-to-back world champion Vettel is now on a roll in 2012, having overtaken Fernando Alonso’s title lead and dominant in India, where converting his pole position on Sunday will mean a fourth-consecutive race win.
Switch to our mobile site