Round 4: French MotoGP™ – Race
Dani Pedrosa made it back-to-back victories after a masterful performance in wet conditions at Le Mans today, a performance that sees the Repsol Honda rider move to the top of the MotoGP™ rider standings.
Alain Prost, the quadruple world champion, is hopeful France could finally return to the F1 calendar next year.
Recently, following his native country’s five year absence from the schedule, Magny Cours and Paul Ricard were linked with a possible French grand prix for 2013. “I still read in the press that there are opportunities for 2013,” Prost, who was involved in the talks, is quoted by France’s Sport24.
There will be no French grand prix in 2013, according to the sports daily L’Equipe.
There had been moves afoot to revive the country’s defunct grand prix, at either Paul Ricard or Magny Cours. But L’Equipe said the French sanctioning body FFSA had not, by Tuesday’s deadline, received a request to apply to be added to the FIA’s 2013 schedule.
Bernie Ecclestone has named Magny-Cours as the likely venue for a 2013 French grand prix.
Quadruple world champion Alain Prost was in Abu Dhabi last weekend for talks with the F1 chief executive about Paul Ricard’s race bid, and potential investors. But Ecclestone is quoted by Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport: “If we go to France (next year), it will be Magny Cours.”
Paul Ricard has recruited Alain Prost to lead the talks with Bernie Ecclestone about reviving the French grand prix in 2013.
Media sources RMC Sport and L’Equipe said the four-time world champion and former F1 team owner has travelled to Abu Dhabi this weekend, to step up the talks with the F1 chief executive. RMC said Prost’s meeting with Ecclestone is scheduled for Saturday.
Magny Cours, France’s last grand prix host, is still in the running to secure the country’s return to the F1 calendar.
Le Figaro daily is reporting that the circuit in central France, having hosted the French grand prix between 1991 and 2008, is set to formally present its case to become the country’s new grand prix venue from 2013.
Paul Ricard mentions September deadline for GP certainty
Prior to Nicolas Sarcozy losing the country’s recent general election, the circuit looked destined for the 2013 calendar, thereafter alternating annually with Belgium’s Spa Francorchamps. The new government is currently reviewing the project and also considering Magny Cours as a possible host, but Paul Ricard’s Clair insisted that time will eventually run out.
French prime minister Francois Fillon will on Friday travel to the Paul Ricard circuit in Le Castellet.
According to Le Parisien newspaper in an exclusive report, he could announce the deal is finally done to revive the French grand prix for 2013. A source said Fillon will provide an update and indicate that France is “ready” to host F1 again for the first time since 2008 at Magny Cours.
Switch to our mobile site