“Generally I would say that both would fit into the Red Bull concept.”
Nico Hulkenberg is well placed to comment on the respective strengths and weaknesses of most of the current engine suppliers in F1.
When he debuted in 2010, the German’s Williams was powered by a Cosworth, while last year he raced a Force India with a Mercedes V8. And on Tuesday at Jerez, his brand new Sauber had a Ferrari engine.
Scuderia Toro Rosso today revealed its new car, the eighth in the team’s history, in the Jerez de la Frontera pit lane, at an event organised by the team’s Spanish sponsor, CEPSA. The wraps were pulled off the STR8 by our unchanged driver line-up of Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.
Giorgio Ascanelli, the well-known F1 engineer who last year left his post as Toro Rosso’s technical director, is set to return to the sport.
But Autosprint, the Italian magazine, played down reports the 53-year-old Italian has decided to go back to Ferrari. Ascanelli began his career at Ferrari in the mid 80s, and was Gerhard Berger’s engineer. He moved to Benetton and McLaren, at the latter team working alongside the great Ayrton Senna.
Jean-Eric Vergne thinks his paymasters still believe he has what it takes to perform in formula one.
The 22-year-old Frenchman’s debut season with the Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso has been mixed. On the one hand, he has out-scored his slightly more experienced teammate Daniel Ricciardo, but on the other he was ousted from the initial ‘Q1′ qualifying segment on no fewer than 8 occasions so far.
Bernie Ecclestone has an innovative idea to police his F1 budget cap.
Some top teams are not keen on the proposal to cap their total annual spend to US $250 million, but the sport’s chief executive is nonetheless confident it could work. Ecclestone, 82, told the Express newspaper that the most effective way to police the cap would be to pay whistle-blowers.
Toro Rosso is sticking with its current drivers, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, for the 2013 season.
Australian Ricciardo, and 22-year-old Frenchman Vergne who is a year younger, moved into the Faenza based team’s race seats when Toro Rosso ousted Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi at the end of last season. “Both drivers have done a good job this season,” said team boss Franz Tost.
Scuderia Toro Rosso announces that Giorgio Ascanelli has resigned from his post as Technical Director
“Over a period of almost five years, Giorgio has contributed positively to the development of our team” team boss Franz Tost said. “Especially in the difficult transition period from a simple racing team to a fully-fledged constructor he made an important contribution and his undoubted experience was very valuable to us. We would like to thank him for his efforts and wish him all the best for the future.”
Switch to our mobile site