“It will be announced later this week on the edge of the Monaco grand prix”
Toro Rosso on Monday unveiled a cautious evolution of its 2012 car for Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne to race this season.
With a FIA-sanctioned ‘vanity panel’ on the front nose, the new STR8 no longer features the ‘double floor’ of 2012, and the exhaust is notably conventional. “I just wanted to create a sound base rather than get bogged down in details,” technical director James Key, formerly of Sauber, was quoted by Speed Week.
James Key, Toro Rosso’s new technical boss, says the Faenza based team is “superior” to Sauber in some ways.
Briton Key moved to Red Bull’s second team late last year, replacing Giorgio Ascanelli. He is quoted by Russia’s f1news.ru: “After Force India and Sauber, Toro Rosso is the third team I have worked with.
Daniel Ricciardo has revealed he will be giving Toro Rosso’s new car its track debut on the first day of winter testing next month.
While sister team and reigning champion Red Bull is reportedly slightly behind schedule with its 2013 single seater, Australian Ricciardo said the new Toro Rosso is “running to plan”. The Faenza based team has not named a launch date for the STR8, but 23-year-old Ricciardo said in a Skype interview from his native Australia that the car will be running as soon as the pre-season period kicks off in early February at Jerez.
This year Toro Rosso car is “very different” to the 2012 model, Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo has revealed.
Ricciardo and his teammate Jean-Eric Vergne finished last season eighteenth and seventeenth consecutively, with the Faenza based squad ahead only of the sport’s three newest teams in the constructors’ standings.
Aabar, the Abu Dhabi state investment arm, may have withdrawn at Mercedes in order to buy into the Toro Rosso team.
It emerged this week that Aabar had sold back its 40 per cent stake in Mercedes’ works team. But Aabar continues to back Toro Rosso, Red Bull’s second formula one team, through its Spanish oil brand Cepsa.
Toro Rosso will switch to Renault power for the start of F1′s new V6 engine era in 2014.
That is the claim of the authoritative German specialist publication Auto Motor und Sport, reporting that the Red Bull-owned team will end its long association with supplier Ferrari after the V8 era concludes late next year.
Toro Rosso is sticking with its current drivers, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, for the 2013 season.
Australian Ricciardo, and 22-year-old Frenchman Vergne who is a year younger, moved into the Faenza based team’s race seats when Toro Rosso ousted Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi at the end of last season. “Both drivers have done a good job this season,” said team boss Franz Tost.
James Key will start work at Toro Rosso on Monday morning, Italy’s well-connected Autosprint reports.
With the Faenza based team’s technical boss Giorgio Ascanelli going “on holiday” recently, it has been reported that his permanent replacement could be the former Sauber and Force India man Key, a 40-year-old Briton.
Jean-Eric Vergne has revealed he will try to keep the “tension” down to a minimum inside the Toro Rosso garage in 2012.
Switch to our mobile site