“The agreement is (now) awaiting the signature of the Catalan president Artur Mas”
Nurburgring officials have reached an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to host the German grand prix as scheduled in July.
That is the claim of the German newspapers Allgemeine Zeitung and Rhein Zeitung, following a long-running ‘on again, off again’ saga surrounding the fortunes of the financially beleaguered Nurburgring.
Valencia’s F1 foray is apparently over, with a Spanish newspaper reporting that the street circuit is now falling into disrepair.
The chances the former European grand prix venue will return to the calendar therefore seem dim, as Marca newspaper publishes images that suggest the facility is no longer being even minimally maintained.
He crashed almost within sight of the chequered flag in a dice with Williams’ Pastor Maldonado
Lewis Hamilton should have known better before going wheel-to-wheel with Pastor Maldonado in the dying stages of Sunday’s European grand prix. That is the view of the McLaren driver’s boss Martin Whitmarsh, after the British team’s top 2012 driver fell 23 points off the championship lead at Valencia.
“We do not contemplate anything other than the alternating (scheme)” - Gonzalo Gobert
Valencia is unlikely to return to the F1 calendar unless Barcelona and Bernie Ecclestone agree to annually alternate the Spanish grand prix starting next year. That is the claim of Mundo Deportivo newspaper, following reports Valencia president Alberto Fabra met with F1′s chief executive during last weekend’s European grand prix.
Even Ferrari’s huge resources are being tested in 2012, as the famous Italian team reportedly works on three different cars simultaneously.
That is the claim of the Spanish sports daily Marca, amid news the once-struggling F2012 car will enjoy yet another significant upgrade for the streets of Valencia this weekend. The report said Ferrari will use a new front wing and floor at the European grand prix, whilst also rolling out upgrades to the rear wing and exhausts.
Nico Rosberg sounds very confident ahead of this weekend’s European grand prix on the streets of Valencia.
The breakthrough Shanghai winner, who also finished second recently at Monaco, is quoted by Germany’s Sport1 as insisting the Mercedes is “absolutely the fastest car” at present. At the same time, Pirelli’s Paul Hembery is reported as having tipped Rosberg’s teammate and Monaco polesitter Michael Schumacher for pole and victory this weekend.
Valencia race chief Gonzalo Gobert has confirmed moves are afoot to host the European grand prix street race only once every two years.
It emerged recently that the regional governments of Valencia and Catalonia have finally agreed that, amid Spain’s economic crisis, Bernie Ecclestone’s race alternating scheme is the best way forward. So when asked how the city of Valencia can imagine sustaining both F1 and MotoGP amid the economic crisis, Gobert told Marca newspaper: “The key is the alternation.
Valencia has sold less than 40,000 tickets ahead of next weekend’s European grand prix.
El Pais newspaper reports that, of the street circuit’s deliberately reduced capacity of 45,000 seats, only 85 per cent have been sold. And of the 38,000 tickets sold, 64 per cent of them were purchased by foreign visitors, the Spanish publication added.
Valencia has once again reduced the capacity of its street circuit ahead of next month’s European grand prix.
After a 112,771 spectator sellout for the inaugural event in 2008, organisers reduced the temporary seating capacity by 35,000 on lower demand the following year. The capacity was shrunk again, to 65,000, for last year’s race, and this year there will be only 45,000 places for spectators to sit amid Europe’s economic crisis, according to El Pais newspaper.
Switch to our mobile site