“The agreement is (now) awaiting the signature of the Catalan president Artur Mas”
Sergio Perez has asked McLaren to team up once again with its former long-time test and reserve driver, Pedro de la Rosa.
That is the claim of the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, reporting that 41-year-old de la Rosa is “looking for work” after HRT quietly folded in the weeks following the 2012 season finale. Correspondent Jaime Rodriguez wrote: “De la Rosa is now in talks with several teams to resume his testing role, including Williams, Mercedes and even Ferrari.”
A video has emerged that clearly depicts Sebastian Vettel overtaking under yellow flag conditions during Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix.
A brawl broke out at ailing F1 team HRT’s Madrid headquarters after staff returned from Sao Paulo, El Mundo newspaper reports.
The report said the fight involved drunk mechanics who had gone straight from the airport to the team’s factory to collect compensation for their redundancies. “The atmosphere heated up and police had to be called to intervene,” said the report.
Fernando Alonso will focus intensely on the final four races of the season amid a ‘media muzzle’, according to the German newspaper Bild.
The report said Ferrari’s Spaniard – who finally lost his championship lead as his on-form title rival Sebastian Vettel won a third consecutive grand prix on Sunday – will not give any more interviews as the 2012 season draws to a close over the next six weeks through India, Abu Dhabi, the US and finally Brazil.
And the candidates are lining up.
Ferrari has played down rumours it is close to immediately ousting Felipe Massa, insisting it is possible the struggling Brazilian will still be in a red car next year. On Twitter, the famous Italian team said the latest rumours – including a claim that former Virgin driver Jerome d’Ambrosio is a candidate to replace Massa in 2012 – are “funny”.
The penalty might be harsh, but the loss of Lewis Hamilton’s pole in Spain is just the latest calamitous mistake by McLaren.
That was the tone of the paddock’s reaction to the news late on Saturday that a McLaren gaffe saw the FIA send Hamilton from first to last on the Spanish grand prix grid. The Sun newspaper called it a draconian “24-place grid penalty” imposed by the FIA after an “astonishing cock-up” by McLaren.
Fernando Alonso managed to brighten Ferrari’s spirits before the opening test of the 2012 test concluded.
His best time in Friday’s proceedings was set with soft tyres and still shy of the promising Lotus’ earlier pace, but it nonetheless triggered sighs of relief within the Maranello ranks after a troubled early start.
Forecasts based on early test results are usually unreliable, but a picture of the 2012 pecking order may already be emerging.
On Wednesday at Jerez, Michael Schumacher moved to the top of the times in last year’s Mercedes, followed by Mark Webber in Red Bull’s new title-defending RB8. “The car was pretty competitive in winter testing last year and it’s the same again this year,” said the Australian driver.
A feature of the 2012 Ferrari car has not been seen in formula one for more than a decade, test driver Marc Gene has confirmed.
While the ‘stepped’ noses have been grabbing all the media’s attention, arguably more noteworthy is Ferrari’s decision to design its F2012 around ‘pullrod’ front suspension. While some F1 teams have been using pullrod suspension at the rear of their cars, it has been essentially absent from the front since the 80s and 90s.
Switch to our mobile site