Mercedes favourite to win in Monaco
Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche has played down expectations ahead of Mercedes’ fourth-consecutive season as a works formula one team.
Dieter Zetsche, the chairman of the German marque’s parent Daimler, says Mercedes must be pushing for the world championship by 2014.
Admitting that the appointments of Lewis Hamilton and Niki Lauda, and the departure of Norbert Haug, were because of Mercedes’ lack of recent success, he also acknowledged that the silver team will not be in a title-winning position this year.
But Zetsche told German weeky Die Zeit: “We do not intend to increase our budget.”
Dieter Zetsche, the chairman of Mercedes’ parent Daimler, has denied reports he has approved an increase in the F1 team’s budget for 2013. Reportedly on new recruit Niki Lauda’s recommendation, it emerged recently that Mercedes-Benz is prepared to boost the Brackley based team’s coffers to the tune of many millions.
Seven time world champion Schumacher has lost his Mercedes drive to Lewis Hamilton.
Sebastian Vettel on Wednesday said he hopes his countryman and friend Michael Schumacher finds a seat to keep racing in formula one next year. But he has been linked with a move to another team – perhaps Sauber, Williams or Lotus – while Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche has offered him a job in team management at Mercedes GP.
More publications and sources are reporting rumours Mercedes could be looking to reshape its commitment to formula one.
Ecclestone proposes ‘Grand Slam’ F1 races and backs customer cars, not budget cap
Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed he is still at loggerheads with Mercedes over the new Concorde Agreement. The German carmaker’s team is the big missing name, after F1 chief executive Ecclestone announced recently he has agreed terms with “the majority” of the teams including Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull.
Dieter Zetsche has admitted it is possible Michael Schumacher will still be a Mercedes driver in 2013.
At the end of his initial three-year F1 comeback contract, the 43-year-old’s existing deal runs out this season. There has been speculation Mercedes has offered him a new two-year contract for 2013 and 2014.
Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche on Thursday indicated he would like Michael Schumacher to extend his Mercedes GP contract beyond 2012.
Seven time world champion Schumacher’s existing three year contract, dating back to his decision to return to F1 in 2010 after a three-year sabbatical, runs out this year.
Zetsche is quoted by Seddeutsche Zeitung newspaper as saying Mercedes is fully committed to formula one, with an “engagement for the long term”.
Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler no longer owns a share of the McLaren team, according to media reports.
McLaren, still powered by the marque’s Brixworth-built engines, began its association with Mercedes in 1995, culminating in world championships and the German carmaker owning 40 per cent of the Woking based team.
Targeting the world championship in 2012 is not realistic for Mercedes GP, according to team boss Ross Brawn.
Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche admitted last week he is not happy with the performance of the Brackley based team, currently a distant fourth in the points standings behind Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari.
Michael Schumacher has received the full backing of Mercedes’ top brass Dieter Zetsche.
Zetsche, the chairman of the German carmaker’s parent Daimler, was responding to renewed calls for 42-year-old Schumacher to return to retirement after disappointing performances since he returned to F1 last year.
Switch to our mobile site