The French government is dashing to seal the lid on the country’s return to F1.
Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday confirmed reports France is definitely heading back to the F1 calendar.
Reports earlier this weekend said authorities had “finally agreed” a figure for the sanctioning fee with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. It is expected that the Ecclestone-owned Paul Ricard will share an annually alternating grand prix date with Belgium’s Spa-Francorchamps, beginning in 2013.
France is only now waiting on Belgium to green-light its return to the formula one calendar in 2013.
Sports minister David Douillet told RMC Sport that everything else is now in place for France to stage its first formula one race since 2008. “I have told Bernie Ecclestone that we are ready. We have done the financial side, on which he agreed,” he said.
France’s return to the F1 calendar is now so close to confirmation that even a provisional race date has been set.
It emerged just before Christmas that, with the historic French grand prix having been last held at Magny Cours in 2008, the country’s return to the calendar is likely to take place at Paul Ricard in 2013.
Switch to our mobile site