“I’m used to pressure anyway” – Bianchi
It is possible Marussia will be notably missing from next weekend’s coverage of the 2013 season opener.
That is because Bernie Ecclestone is yet to agree a new Concorde Agreement with the backmarker team. The F1 chief executive said recently that he has agreed bilateral financial deals with every team, Marussia included.
Powerbokers Ecclestone, Todt, to meet Thursday
The topic? The unsigned 2013 Concorde Agreement. Although F1 chief executive Ecclestone has inked bilateral financial agreements with all the teams, the signatures are still missing on the crucial pact between the teams, the commercial rights holder, and the FIA.
No more teams are set to follow HRT through F1′s paddock exit, Bernie Ecclestone insists.
There has been speculation the economic situation in the sport and the wider world could claim more scalps, with Marussia at the top of the list, having reportedly failed to negotiate a new Concorde Agreement with F1′s ‘supremo’.
Marussia on Wednesday finally confirmed reports Luiz Razia has completed the team’s 2013 race driver lineup.
The 23-year-old Brazilian, runner-up in last year’s GP2 championship, will mark the news by testing Marussia’s newly-launched MR02 car at Jerez on Wednesday. The 2013 vacancy, now filled by Razia, opened up recently when Marussia split with Timo Glock, citing the need for a sponsored driver.
Losing tenth place in the constructors’ championship at the final hurdle last year was a major reason for Timo Glock’s shock departure.
Christian Horner was not at Maranello recently to discuss his or Adrian Newey’s possible switch to Ferrari.
When the Red Bull team boss was spotted at Ferrari’s fabled headquarters, it fired into action the speculative minds of the Italian and – in turn – the international press. Actually, according to German correspondent Michael Schmidt, also at Maranello for the very same meeting were Bernie Ecclestone, Martin Whitmarsh and Niki Lauda.
Marussia on Monday admitted the need for money is behind the decision to part with the team’s long-time lead driver Timo Glock.
It is believed German Glock, 30, was being paid about EUR 3 million per season. Reportedly yet to agree a new Concorde Agreement deal with Bernie Ecclestone, and narrowly missing out on the lucrative tenth place in the 2012 constructors’ championship, Marussia will almost certainly now replace Glock with a ‘pay driver’.
With HRT bowing out of formula one, Bernie Ecclestone would be happy to see the sport lose one more team.
“I’d rather have 10,” the F1 chief executive told Reuters on Thursday. “I never wanted 12.” HRT’s departure leaves just 11 teams on the grid for 2013. It emerged recently that the struggling backmarker Marussia is the only team on the 2013 entry list that is yet to be offered a new Concorde Agreement deal.
“There’s a strong case that an unequal division of power and money to a subset of teams is unlawful”
The way Bernie Ecclestone agreed better deals for top teams like Ferrari and Red Bull could be “unlawful”, former Williams chairman Adam Parr said on Tuesday. Having resigned in March, the Briton has now all but confirmed rumours he was pushed out of formula one by its F1 chief executive Ecclestone.
Marussia is the only team on the official 2013 entry list that is yet to be offered a new Concorde Agreement deal.
The German website motorsport-total.com reports that the news could be particularly bad for the Russian-owned British backmarker, as Bernie Ecclestone is apparently considering scrapping the so-called ‘column 3′ benefits for the sport’s new teams that debuted in 2010.
Rubens Barrichello has dismissed as “just rumours” suggestions he could return to formula one next year with Caterham.
The veteran was bitterly disappointed to end his record-setting grand prix career at the end of last year, but was conspicuously present for the last two races of the 2012 season, in the US – where he has been racing Indycars in 2012 – and his native Brazil.
Switch to our mobile site