Carlos Gracia, a vice-president of F1′s governing FIA, has lost his license for drink-driving.
Ferrari has until Friday to lodge a protest against the results of Sunday’s championship-deciding Brazilian grand prix.
The possibility that Sebastian Vettel could lose his 2012 title, to the benefit of Fernando Alonso, has arisen after video footage emerged on the internet depicting Vettel overtaking at Interlagos possibly under yellow flags.
“I see it that they want to shift the responsibility to Maria, but we need to wait if she can recover her memory.”
Carlos Gracia, the highest-ranking Spanish motor racing official, has criticised Marussia after the team implied Maria de Villota’s recent testing accident was her fault. Without actually saying the crash into a stationary truck during straightline aerodynamic testing was driver error, Marussia recently revealed that an internal investigation showed the car had not failed.
Set to be transferred from her hospital in Cambridge to a hospital in London, perhaps for further surgery.
Maria de Villota is undergoing surgery after fracturing her skull in Tuesday’s accident, Spanish motor racing federation chief Carlos Gracia said on Wednesday. And the British newspaper the Mirror said doctors are battling to save the sight in one of the Marussia test driver’s eyes, after her helmeted head took the brunt of the impact into the side of a lorry loading ramp at the Duxford airfield.
De Villota is currently in hospital with reportedly “severe facial and head injuries”.
Spain’s motor racing federation has vowed to help get to the bottom of the incident involving seriously injured female test driver Maria de Villota. But Carlos Gracia, president of the RFEdA, expressed caution in light of rampant speculation following the 32-year-old Spaniard’s impact with a team truck whilst ‘straightline testing’ Marussia’s 2012 car in the UK on Tuesday.
Before the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix
Today has been an important day for HRT Formula 1 Team who received the visit of Jean Todt, President of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile, to its brand new facilities at the Caja Mágica in Madrid. Guided by the team’s CEO, Saúl Ruiz de Marcos, and Team Principal, Luis Pérez-Sala, the head figure of the FIA toured the team’s new facilities.
Martin Brundle has admitted he is surprised HRT is still struggling so much at the start of its third season in formula one.
Jaime Alguersuari is refusing to give anything away as he considers his future following Toro Rosso’s clean-sweep for 2012.
Interview with Pedro de la Rosa
Pedro de la Rosa was officially presented today as an HRT F1 Team driver for the next two seasons. The act took part at the “Consejo Superior de Deportes” in Madrid and was attended by Saúl Ruiz de Marcos (HRT F1 Team, CEO), Luis Pérez-Sala (HRT F1 Team, Sports Advisor), Carlos Gracia (Real Federación Española de Automovilismo, President) and Matilde García (CSD, General Director).
The news was confirmed by European grand prix organiser Valmor Sports’ Jorge Martinez Aspar
As in Canada this weekend, there will also be two ‘DRS’ overtaking zones for Valencia’s grand prix later in June. The news was confirmed by European grand prix organiser Valmor Sports’ Jorge Martinez Aspar in the Spanish port city on Tuesday.
Ecclestone told the Financial Times he might now send his own inspector to Bahrain.
Bernie Ecclestone could send his own envoy to Bahrain as the 2011 race rescheduling saga becomes a political power struggle. Some commentators have raised eyebrows this week as Ecclestone, F1′s chief executive, appeared to be back in step with his old sparring partner Max Mosley in the wake of the FIA’s controversial decision to slot Bahrain back into the 2011 calendar.
Todt, Ecclestone wavering on Bahrain decision
The FIA decided controversially last week to put the troubled island Kingdom back on this year’s calendar despite fears about logistics, politics and security. Teams have vowed to discuss the decision amid reports of continuing violence in Bahrain, while angry protesters are calling for a race-day ‘Day of Rage’.
Bernie Ecclestone wants the race’s $40 million fee
The F1 world is holding its breath early on Friday as the sport considers returning to troubled Bahrain later this year. Bernie Ecclestone wants the race’s $40 million fee and said recently politics should not influence sport. But that did not stop him hypothesising about the reason for the kind of protests seen in Bahrain and elsewhere in recent months and days.
HRT is beginning to win over the support of Spain’s motor racing federation.
The country’s head FIA official Carlos Gracia said after Australia, where the F111 cars failed even to qualify: “Like this, I would prefer there was no Spanish team in formula one”. But three races on, with Vitantonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan pressing the pace of their nearest rivals and untroubled by the 107pc qualifying rule, Gracia admitted he is happier.
“Like this, I would prefer there was no Spanish team in formula one” – Gracia
The head of the Spanish motor racing federation has slammed Hispania after its drivers failed to qualify for the 2011 season opener. In the untested F111, Tonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan kicked off the Spanish team’s second season in F1 with a handful of practice laps before failing to meet the new 107 per cent qualifying rule.
FIA official told Korea to host GP – report
The crucial inspection of Korea’s new formula one circuit is proceeding well, an official said late on Monday. The FIA’s Charlie Whiting arrived at the Yeongam venue on Monday and began a two-day inspection that will seal the fate of the event scheduled for October 24.
Alonso puts Contador cycling team plans on ice
Ferrari argued on Wednesday that Felipe Massa decided to let Fernando Alonso pass him for the race lead at Hockenheim because the Brazilian was angry. As was rumoured before the World Motor Sport Council’s disciplinary sitting in Paris, the Maranello based team rejected the charge that it imposed an illegal team order that deprived Massa of the German GP victory.
Switch to our mobile site