But he said he would “give everything” to be able to return to his first love; circuit racing.
State-sponsored F1 driver Pastor Maldonado on Sunday publicly prayed for the recovery of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
Backed by the state-controlled oil company PDVSA, 27-year-old Maldonado expressed relief late last year when socialist incumbent Chavez was re-elected. “Long live democracy!” the Williams driver had exclaimed on Twitter.
Sebastian Vettel has advised sensitive formula one fans to switch over to children’s programming.
Last week, the reigning world champion apologised for using the ‘F’-word during his podium interview with David Coulthard recently in Abu Dhabi. The apology followed the FIA’s letter to teams, warning that the use of foul language should not be tolerated.
After Texas and New York, Bernie Ecclestone’s next American target could be Los Angeles.
The F1 chief executive said this week that, because the US is about the same size as Europe and a huge market for the sport, there should be more American races on the calendar. Formula one is this weekend finally ending a five-year hiatus by reviving the US grand prix at the brand new Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.
Team boss Christian Horner extended 35-year-old Australian Webber’s contract this week
As they face their fifth season together in 2013, Mark Webber has played down suggestions his relationship with Sebastian Vettel is perhaps F1′s most fiery. The pair clashed memorably as they fought for Vettel’s first of back-to-back titles in 2010, and yet Red Bull chiefs have opted to keep them together several years later.
Webber admits 2012 title challenge influenced Ferrari snub
Until Red Bull announced he is staying alongside Sebastian Vettel next season, the Australian was strongly linked with a move to Ferrari. Even in the official media statement, Webber admitted there had been “discussions with Ferrari” about replacing Felipe Massa.
Joins race promoter Leo Hindery, Elected Officials and F1 sponsor Infiniti at 2013 Race Location
No doubts about 2013 New York race – promoter
Two-Time Defending Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel makes history, drives preview lap at Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial Course. Formula One World Championship racer Sebastian Vettel drove a preview lap of the course at the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial. He also held a media conference with Race Promoter Leo Hindery, Infiniti representatives, Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner, and West New York Mayor Felix Roque.
Nineteen years of formula one did not prepare Rubens Barrichello for his first taste of driving an Indycar on a high speed oval.
The former Ferrari driver, who switched categories for the 2012 season after losing his Williams race seat, tested at the Texas Motor Speedway on Monday. “It was bloody fast,” he is quoted by the Associated Press, “and very, very much different than anything I have ever tried.
At least three television broadcasters will not travel to next week’s controversial Bahrain grand prix.
Blick newspaper, as well as Bild and London’s Times, are reporting that the host broadcasters for Finland, Japan and Germany (Sky Deutschland) will not be sending personnel to the troubled island Kingdom.
With the 2012 season now just weeks away, the most serious doubts yet about April’s returning Bahrain grand prix have emerged.
Reports claim that, on the eve of the one year anniversary of the bloody ‘Day of Rage’ protests that led to the cancellation of the race and test in early 2011, violent clashes involving tear gas-firing police have broken out.
A Munich court on Tuesday found Adrian Sutil guilty of grievous bodily harm, wire news services reported.
The former Force India was on trial for attacking Lotus team executive Eric Lux in a Shanghai nightclub last April. The court imposed an 18-month suspended jail sentence and ordered the 29-year-old to pay EUR 200,000 to charity, the BBC, Associated Press and Reuters said.
Indycar’s boss has admitted he would “love” longest-serving F1 veteran Rubens Barrichello to switch codes for 2012.
Having lost his race seat after a record-setting 19 consecutive seasons, the 39-year-old Brazilian is this week testing the 2012 Indycar in Florida, with his close friend and KV team driver Tony Kanaan also in action.
With Austin’s 2012 US GP project all but dead, the first signs of construction at F1′s New York round for 2013 have emerged.
Organisers of the US grand prix have one week to rescue their event before it is scratched from next year’s calendar.
The deadline has been imposed by F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, according to the Associated Press. “If they want to come back to us, if it (a contract) is not signed before the end of next week, I suppose it won’t be on the calendar next year,” he said.
New York race no threat to Texas grand prix
The second US race on the 2013 formula one calendar could be called the American grand prix, it has emerged. The sport and New Jersey are expected to jointly announce on Tuesday that a street race on the Hudson River, with New York’s famous Manhattan skyline in the background, will take place.
Switch to our mobile site