“Seb has proved he can’t be trusted”
The world of F1 is “obviously” moving on without Kamui Kobayashi, according to experienced Japanese journalist Kunio Shibata.
Kobayashi, who according to 1980 world champion Alan Jones was Japan’s best ever F1 driver, lost his Sauber race seat for 2013. “Kimi is unseen by the public, and not in the newspapers,” Shibata, who writes for GPX magazine, said.
Australia’s last world champion Alan Jones has urged Mark Webber to join Ferrari.
After the Red Bull driver won his second Monaco grand prix last weekend, his team boss Christian Horner moved to play down the 35-year-old’s rumoured 2013 switch to Maranello based Ferrari. “Why would he want to leave?” Horner is quoted by the Sun.
Mark Webber has warned he will quit formula one if he cannot find a top seat for 2013.
The 35-year-old Australian is the only prominent member of the leading Red Bull team who does not currently have a contract beyond this season. It is rumoured Dr Helmut Marko wants to replace him for 2013 with either Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne, triggering rumours Webber could be a potential replacement for Felipe Massa at Ferrari.
Dieter Zetsche has admitted it is possible Michael Schumacher will still be a Mercedes driver in 2013.
At the end of his initial three-year F1 comeback contract, the 43-year-old’s existing deal runs out this season. There has been speculation Mercedes has offered him a new two-year contract for 2013 and 2014.
Amid all the ‘ugly’ talk, Alan Jones doesn’t mind the look of F1′s field of 2012.
With McLaren the notable exception, every team has incorporated an awkward ‘step’ into its nose design as the optimum solution to new FIA rules. Paul Hembery, Pirelli’s motor sport director, recently decried the look as “pig ugly”.
Australian Jones, now 65, in 1980 won the once-great team’s first of seven drivers’ titles.
Alan Jones is not ruling out a Williams resurgence in 2012, despite his former championship-winning team slumping to its worst-ever result last season. Williams has also won nine constructors’ championships, but not since 1997. Juan Pablo Montoya won the team’s most recent victory, in 2004.
That is the view of 1980 world champion Alan Jones.
Bernie Ecclestone is not harming formula one with his planned expansion to even more new venues. F1 chief executive Ecclestone, who has already arranged two forthcoming US races and also an event in Russia, has said in recent interviews that he hopes his sport’s next destinations are Africa and Mexico.
It is a mistake to write off Michael Schumacher.
That is the claim of the seven time world champion’s countryman Timo Glock, who drives for the back-of-the-grid Marussia team. 43-year-old Schumacher, meanwhile, is looking ahead to the third and final season of his comeback contract, having so far failed to score a single podium with the Mercedes team.
Renault Sport F1 and Williams F1 are delighted to announce a long-term chassis-engine partnership.
+Q&A with Adam Parr Chariman, Williams F1
+Williams switches to Renault power for 2012
Renault Sport F1, the F1 division of Renault, will supply AT&T Williams with its championship-winning V8 power units for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. In addition to the supply of its Formula One engines, the newly-formed alliance includes several other exciting business and marketing opportunities, with a view to continuing after the introduction of the new, energy efficient, turbocharged V6 engines arrive in the sport in 2014.
Forecast for Sunday is also not good.
The sun is out at Suzuka on Thursday, but local reports are still predicting a chance of rain for the Japanese grand prix weekend. The talk in the paddock is a close to 100 per cent chance of rain on Saturday, while Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld said the forecast for Sunday is also not good.
Alan Jones to be F1 steward in Korea
Work began on Thursday to lay the final top layer of asphalt at Korea’s new Yeongam circuit. The race organisers only have three days to complete the job before the FIA’s Charlie Whiting begins a two-day inspection on Monday. “Work on the final surface layer will probably be done by Friday,” confirmed spokesman Kim Jae-ho.
Williams admits losing Webber ‘a mistake’
Red Bull would like to keep Mark Webber on board for the 2011 season. After the Australian driver commandingly won the past two grands prix from pole position and took the lead of the world championship, it is being reported that Red Bull would like to extend his expiring contract.
Switch to our mobile site