Hamilton refuses to criticise McLaren
The only missing link as Lewis Hamilton adapts to life at Mercedes is time, team boss Ross Brawn insists. Lewis Hamilton has refused to join the list of former drivers who criticise the great McLaren team.
Jean-Eric Vergne has revealed he is still in the running to move up to Red Bull’s championship-winning team in 2014.
The Frenchman, who last year debuted for the energy drink company’s junior squad Toro Rosso, said he and continuing teammate Daniel Ricciardo are potential candidates in the event Mark Webber does not stay beyond his contract this year.
Plans to stage a grand prix in and around London’s Olympic stadium have all but collapsed.
Earlier this year, a company called Intelligent Transport Services launched a bid to take over the venue in the wake of the British capital’s Games. But rival bids were also launched, including by the premier league football club West Ham United.
As the candidates clamour for his seat, Romain Grosjean has acknowledged that formula one is a “world without pity”.
“Yes,” he confirmed to the Swiss daily Le Matin. “But that’s normal for the top level. “It’s also the case with banking and watchmaking. There is no room for mercy. “Seats in F1 are scarce; there are no presents.”
Paul di Resta was surprised when he heard his 2012 teammate Nico Hulkenberg had decided to move to Sauber next year.
Former F1 driver Johnny Herbert has described the German’s switch as a “sideways” step, while Hulkenberg on Thursday denied he is making the move to be closer to Ferrari. “I was surprised that Nico left this team, to be fair, for an immediate competitor,” Scot di Resta is quoted by the PTI news agency in Abu Dhabi.
Arab state Qatar is pushing to become F1′s next new host.
The Losail circuit, built in 2004 and located just outside the capital Doha, already stages a night race for MotoGP. And the president of Qatar’s motor racing federation, Nasser bin Khalifa Al Attiyah, has revealed that Losail is bidding “to get the license which would allow us to host F1 teams for pre-season testing and other activities.
Bernie Ecclestone agreed to reduce the race fee as he extended Korea’s grand prix contract through 2016, the AFP news agency reports.
F1′s annual trip since 2010 to Mokpo is among the most controversial and least popular on the calendar, but promoter Park Won-Hwa said on Friday a new contract has been signed. “We had to renegotiate with Mr Ecclestone and brought a few ideas and persuaded him that Korea cannot continue the event with such a big financial loss,” he said.
Sergio Perez is not a leading candidate to replace Felipe Massa next season, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has said.
“We never take a decision before the second half of the season,” the Italian told Reuters. Montezemolo acknowledged Brazilian Massa’s surge of form in Monaco last weekend, amid speculation Sauber’s Perez – already the cream of Ferrari’s driver development programme – might nonetheless be fast-tracked into the race seat for 2013.
No one in formula one really wants to go to Bahrain, according to the correspondent for The Times newspaper.
Switch to our mobile site