«

»

Jun 03

Future unclear for Canadian GP

“I remain optimistic” – Francois Dumontier

2013-06-09The Canadian grand prix will be run and won this weekend without the future of the Montreal race being clear.

La Presse reports that while authorities had been “hopeful” a new ten-year deal could be announced at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, there is a bureaucratic holdup within the Ottawa government.

“The negotiations continue,” said correspondent Sebastian Templar.

Similarly, the Journal de Montreal reports that the federal government is not currently willing to increase its annual financial contribution, despite Bernie Ecclestone pushing for vital renovations to the ageing track on the Ile Notre Dame.

“(The stance of) Ottawa has surprised its partners, the government of Quebec, the city of Montreal and Tourisme Montreal,” added Templar.

Race promoter Francois Dumontier said: “I remain optimistic the various levels of government will find a solution.”

source: GMM