Scott Pruett races into record books with Riley
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates drivers Scott Pruett, Juan Montoya, Charlie Kimball, and Memo Rojas edged the field by just 22 seconds after 709 laps of racing in their No. 01 TELMEX/Target BMW-Riley at the “World Center of Racing” to open the 2013 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series season with a huge victory.
Riley Technologies Daytona Prototype design debuted in the Rolex 24 in 2004, and has won every running of the big event since 2005 as the Mooresville, North Carolina-based organization has continued to offer innovation in design and unparalleled customer support through three generations of DP design.
The race was yet another highly competitive affair, with 24 different drivers holding on to the overall lead, which changed hands a record 78 times despite running under caution for 121 laps, including an extended run of 31 laps behind the pace car as fog enveloped the speedway in the early morning hours. After taking the pole in Thursday qualifying session, the No. 01 was a factor from the start of the race to the finish, with Pruett leading a race-high 205 of the 421 total laps that the No. 01 BMW-Riley led in the 51st running of the 24.
Pruett has now taken four overall victories in Riley machines, and his accomplishment matched the record of Rolex legend Hurley Haywood, as the two are the only drivers in the race’s history to have won overall five times.
“It’s just an incredible day all the way around, winning with these guys, winning with Chip, with TELMEX and with BMW,” Pruett said. “Then at the end of it, having gotten to know Hurley real well over the years by racing with him and just as a friend – and to have him there at the end – was pretty special. It was a very special thing.”
Teammates Montoya (2007, 2008, 2013) and Rojas (2008, 2011, 2013) now have three wins in the race, all achieved with Riley designs.
“Congratulations to the entire Ganassi organization on their incredible performance for this huge win,” said Bill Riley. “For our customers to have won the race nine times, really is incredible. We are proud of the support that we provide our teams, but this record is a testament to the effort that the teams put into being successful.”
The big result wasn’t the only recognition the Riley Technologies organization recieved over the weekend, as it was announced that Bob Riley will be inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame in Detroit.
2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona Top-10:
1. (01) Scott Pruett/Memo Rojas/Juan Pablo Montoya/Charlie Kimball/ BMW Riley, 709 laps
2. (12) /Max Angelelli/Jordan Taylor/Ryan Hunter-Reay/ , Corvette DP, 709
3. (6) John Pew/Oswaldo Negri Jr/AJ Allmendinger/Justin Wilson/Marcos Ambrose, Ford Riley, 709
4. (13) Mike Rockenfeller/Burt Frisselle/ Joao Barbosa, Corvette DP, 708
5. (5) Antonio Garcia/Richard Westbrook/Ricky Taylor/Oliver Gavin/ , Corvette DP, 697
6. (7) /Ryan Dalziel/Alex Popow/Sebastien Bourdais/Allan McNish, Ford Riley, 696
7. (8) Jon Fogarty/Alex Gurney/Memo Gidley/Darren Law/ Corvette DP, 695
8. (11) Brian Frisselle/Nelson Piquet Jr/Felipe Nasr/Christian Fittipaldi/ , Corvette DP, 688
9. (22) Filipe Albuquergue/Oliver Jarvis/Edoardo Mortara/Dion von Moltke/Audi R8 GRANDAM, 678
10. (27) Frank Stippler/Rene Rast/Ian Baas/Marc Basseng/ , Audi R8 GRAND-AM, 678,