The 24-year-old will continue to work alongside previously confirmed race drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.
Sébastien Buemi said: “I know everyone at Red Bull Racing well and it’s good to remain with the team for another year. Of course my aim is to be driving at the races again, but I am still learning all the time from my work with the team. I help with the development of the car and provide feedback throughout the season, both at the factory and at races.”
Christian Horner commented: “We’re pleased that Sébastien has continued as test and reserve driver for the coming season. He joined the Red Bull Junior Team in 2004, has worked with Red Bull Racing in 2008 and 2012 and has significant race experience. He is an integral member of the team and will complete important simulation work for us throughout the year.”
Red Bull says reserve driver Buemi staying
Red Bull has finally confirmed reports Sebastien Buemi is staying put as the world champion team’s official reserve driver.
The 24-year-old Swiss moved into the role last year, after losing his race seat with Red Bull’s secondary team, Toro Rosso.
The Swiss newspaper Sonntagsblick reported more than two weeks ago that Buemi had definitely dropped out of the running for the second Force India drive.
“Buemi will again be signed as reserve driver for Red Bull and Toro Rosso,” said veteran correspondent Roger Benoit on January 7.
Red Bull quoted Buemi in a media statement on Tuesday: “It’s good to remain with the team for another year.”