«

»

Mar 25

Hockenheim future still unclear after meeting

Talks between premier Gunther Oettinger and F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone

The future of Hockenheim’s formula one race remains unclear despite expectations a definitive verdict was due to be declared on Wednesday.

The local council, majority owner of the German venue, was instead urged by the Baden-Wurttemberg state to wait on the outcome of talks between premier Gunther Oettinger and F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

It is said that German carmakers Mercedes and BMW are also urged to participate in any meeting, even though all the stakeholders have so far refused to pledge financially towards Hockenheim’s multi-million euro race losses.

Instead, the spotlight has fallen on the Oettinger government, and the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper on Tuesday said financial backing is possible.

source: GMM