Dubai Free Practice results
The young Kiwi from Meritus was quickest by 1/1000th today during Free Practice of the second round of the GP2 Asia Series in Dubai.
On a windy track, rookie Earl Bamber has taken the top spot in free practice today in Dubai in a 1:44.048, just 1/1000th ahead of Dam’s Kamui Kobayashi.
After snatching his first GP2 podium last October in the opening of the second season of the GP2 Asia Series in China, the impressive young driver from MY Qi-Meritus.Mahara proves once again that he is a man to watch.
Behind the two fastest men, Davide Valsecchi at Durango also confirms he is on top form by signing the third quickest laptime ahead of Dams second car with d’Ambrosio and newcomer Pastor Maldonado at the wheel of the ART Grand Prix car.
The Venezuelan’s teammate, Sakon Yamamoto, quickly followed ahead of another impressive rookie, Sergio Perez. The young Mexican from Campos was already competitive in China.
The new Ocean Racing Technology team seemed to adjust rather quickly to the GP2/07 car with Yelmer Buurman finishing 8th of the session, just ahead of the leader of the Championship Roldan Rodriguez at Piquet GP. Vitaly Petrov on the second Campos car competed the top 10.
The qualifying session will start at 4:40pm today, local time.
Dubai – Free Practice
1. Earl Bamber MY Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:44.048 14
2. Kamui Kobayashi Dams 1:44.049 14
3. Davide Valsecchi Durango 1:44.148 13
4. Jérôme d’Ambrosio Dams 1:44.488 15
5. Pastor Maldonado ART Grand Prix 1:44.565 13
6. Sakon Yamamoto ART Grand Prix 1:44.711 14
7. Sergio Perez Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:44.776 14
8. Yelmer Buurman Ocean Racing Team 1:44.782 13
9. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet GP 1:44.905 13
10. Vitaly Petrov Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:44.936 13
11. Javier Villa Super Nova Racing 1:45.300 14
12. Giedo Van der Garde iSport International 1:45.332 15
13. James Jakes Super Nova Racing 1:45.688 14
14. Andreas Zuber Fisichella Motor Sport Int. 1:45.815 14
15. Hamad Al Fardan iSport International 1:45.909 12
16. Michael Herck DPR 1:46.191 15
17. Luiz Razia Trust Team Arden 1:46.314 15
18. Giacomo Ricci DPR 1:46.315 14
19. Diego Nunes Piquet GP 1:46.342 14
20 Fabrizzio Crestani Ocean Racing Technology 1:46.975 14
21. Renger van der Zande Trust Team Arden 1:46.993 14
22. Alberto Valerio Trident Racing 1:47.856 14
23. Kevin Nai Chia Chen Fisichella Motor Sport Int. 1:50.600 12
24. Michael Dalle Selle Durango 1:50.821 13
25 Alex Yoong MY Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:51.699 3
26 Chris van Der Drift Trident Racing 1:53.607 2